Which nailer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve never owned a mailer before but would like for for a garden project.

our little guy is now running...and I want to fence off the lawn to avoid trip hazards. Just a 4’ picket fence and gate.

now the width is going to be around 15m I’ll need to nail in each 22mm thick pale and that’ll be a pain with anything other than a nailer.

I want a cheap tool that’ll do the job, nothing too flash. I won’t use it much after this...potentially, I mean I’m sure it’ll get used again.

Any suggestions

Sponsored Links
drill driver and screws
you would need 15 gauge and they are many hundreds

I'm with B-A. There is no such thing as a cheap nailer which is effective. Cheapest set up would be something like a small compressor (£120) plus a low cost at pneumatic nail gun (£60 or so) plus £40 or so for a hose, fittings and the all essential RCD plug (as you are working outdoors). Cheapest gas or cordless nailer is going to be £300 plus (£400 plus for a trade gun). Whilst there are cheaper second hand gas nail guns on the market, without experience of using and servicing such guns I'd advise against buying one as it can be like opening a can of worms

BTW 15 ga has maximum nail length of 64mm, so limit of about 1 -1/2in (38mm) thick fencing materials. Smaller gauges such as 16ga or 18ga just cannot do the job

Last edited by a moderator:
It's showing as not in stock, but toolstation do a bucket of 1000 decking screws for £20, job done

Sponsored Links
It might be fine for small jobs, but are those staples actually going to hold a fence together more than one winter before a combination of tanalith-e and weather put paid to them?

I built a picket fence last year, about 18 metres. With a spacer and string line I found an old fashioned hammer and (oval) nails worked fine once into the rhythm of it.

I looked into getting a nailer but the cost was uneconomic set against the saving on doing the job myself. But research showed Hitachi is the best nailer atm.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Blup

I once built a garden gate with 18ga brads. After three years I had to drive in screws.

as a general comment
rails would definitely need heavy fixing as supporting perhaps 6ft or 1850mm length off pailings
now individual pailings may hold on 18 gauge for a while but when a young child falls on it and knocks it off it falls on the floor by nature will always fall nails up and becomes an extreme danger as it has nails uppermost to cause damage
now you may get away with 16 gauge perhaps 25mm too long and bent back but hard work and not easily neat
so back to perhaps 35-40mm screws

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back