What nails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I'm building a little lean-to bike shed in the garden. All gone well, now just building the ledge-and-brace doors.

I was planning to use my brad nailer to fix the T&G door to the ledges etc., but with 15mm doors and 18mm ledges, a 32mm brad will poke through the back as soon as the brad goes beneath the surface. I can't get brads shorter than 32mm for my nailer.

So I thought I'd use ring shank nails, which I can get at 25mm. However, these are bright not galvanised, and I can't seem to find galvanised rink shanks anywhere.

So my question is: Have I just got the wrong idea altogether? What should I be using to fix door to ledge? Stainless? Something I can pick up from Screwfix or Toolstation would be ideal.

Cheers
J

Sponsored Links
How about screws from the back, Jim?
In the days of yore, brad nails were often hammered through the front, and clinched over at the back.....when timber was proper stuff, of course!
John :)

How about screws from the back, Jim?
In the days of yore, brad nails were often hammered through the front, and clinched over at the back.....when timber was proper stuff, of course!

That did occur to me (and it would be neater and easier, if a little slower), it just seems wrong to be screwing through the thicker piece, into the thinner!

Sponsored Links
Yes, I know exactly what you mean!
I'd be inclined to glue and screw the braces to the back of the door and maybe add a diagonal....the 15mm stuff may cup a little in the wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back