Nailing Concrete Roof Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have concrete interlocking tiles that need to be nailed down

Could anyone confirm whether nailing every third row is the recommended method? i.e. nail first row, then miss two rows, then nail the one above

I live in wind zone 1

Sponsored Links
I've just read that according to BS 5534

- All tiles must be fixed (nailed). As a minimum.

- In addition, a fixing calculation should be run to determine if any extra fixings, such as clips, are required.

Isn't this all a bit overkill for wind zone 1?

How much extra effort is it for an extra nail a tile versus tile repairs Next big storm ??

How much extra effort is it for an extra nail a tile versus tile repairs Next big storm ??
Yes, but it is my understanding that this was not a requirement a few years back.

That coupled with the fact that we have never had a tile fly off the roof in the 40+ years it has been on the roof

Also, nailing every tile makes future removal/ replacement cumbersome.

I am happy to follow the guideline, it just seems like overkill and I very much doubt that professional roofers are nailing and adding extra fixing to new roofing jobs

Does anyone have a link to the fixing calculator as according to BS 5534, I may have to add additional fixings.

Sponsored Links
Dont know the regs but what about nailing every other tile instead of missing complete rows that way most tiles will have a nailed one next to them holding them down, but would nail all tiles on the edge and last ones next to the ridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back