How often to nail clay tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am roofing my workshop with these as they match our house:
https://www.wienerberger.co.uk/product-range/roof/tempest-44-natural-red.html

They have two little holes at the top to screw into the battens. On our current roof from the 30s, they are not nailed down at all. Having said that, sometimes the wind blows the odd one off, and then it needs to be replaced.

On the workshop I was thinking to nail down the edges, and every 3rd row, or something like that. It seems to me that if they are all nailed down, it would be very difficult to do any maintenance.

What is normal practice for nailing down clay tiles?

Sponsored Links
It is not so exposed, and only single story. If possible I would like to be able to remove tiles for maintenance. I plan to screw them down with stainless screws, not nails. I was thinking to fasten the verge tiles, the eaves, and those under the ridge. For the rest I am not sure if I should do every 3rd or 4th row, or if more of a checkerboard pattern would be better. In any case I would like the fastened tiles to be far enough apart that I can remove tiles if I have to.

Sponsored Links
The roof itself mostly. It always seems something goes wrong. A tile cracks and needs replacement, a ridge tile comes loose. It would just seem easier if you can move some tiles aside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back