nailing wood floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im thinking of nailing a solid oak floor to existing floorboards.
What length nail is advised and do I need a sheet of dpm.
I was thinking not using dpm as if there was a damp problem then this would be shown on the existing floorboards.

Matt

Sponsored Links
putting down a dpm and putting a few hundred nails through it is a waste of time :LOL: .
Dpm is more often used on concrete sub-floors the chances are your timber sub-floor will be dry,as for nails pop down to your local hire shop and hire a secret nailer also called a porta-nailer its a clever tool that fires 40mm nails at an angle through the tongues.
Its a mechanical device that you need to strike with the large mallet supplied and is normally inexpensive to hire.

m sharp said:
I was thinking not using dpm as if there was a damp problem then this would be shown on the existing floorboards.

Matt
Never use DPM on existing floorboards, this might cause moist problems instead of preventing them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back