Solid oak floor in porch and hall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The porch has a concrete floor, the hall has softwood floorboards. I am thinking of using solid oak T&G, (137mm cover). I have been advised to lay the new floor in the hall onto cork backing and to secret nail onto old floorboards.
In the porch I will lay a dpm, then cork backing, and the floorboards clip together with stainless clips that fit into grooves machined into the back of the flooring (don't yet know whether or not I need to glue the boards together).
Am I going about this the right way, any advice would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Porch and hallway: wet shoes, dripping umbrellas etc.
Although the floor you're thinking of is not that wide, you might be better of wood-engineered boards.
If the original floorboards are pretty level, than you can also install the boards floating (but perhaps you need to install some hardboard first if the boards run the same way as your new boards will to minimise draft).
Cork backing is one type of underlayment, there are several other suitable options.
Clips sounds to me as Junkers flooring (or a copy of). Experience has taught us that they never supply the amount of clips with the flooring they recommend you to use. Some are in favour of clips, some are not. Junkers is been using this system for ages now and are pretty good, copies of the system though are mostly rubbish and you should glue the T&G also (and even forget about the clips, they just fall out of the boards the minute you try to install the boards ;)

I must admit I hadn't thought of that, although I have never seen puddles of water in either of these rooms from shoes or brollies. Also, isn't that hardwax (osman?) pretty impermeable to water?

Sponsored Links
Yes it is (osmo HardWaxOil), under normal circumstances, but don't tempt fate ;)
A porch normally gets more wind and rain and cold temperatures than any other room. IMHO a wood-engineered floor is better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back