solid oak floor onto existing ground floor/floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read every fitting instructions and forums goin on this and I am still non the wiser on how to lay my solid oak flooring.
my house is older style with floorboards onto joists with a cavity underneath, ( more than likely dirt base....).
I am laying 18mm solid oak onto this, it will probably have some moisture get to it via the air bricks etc,, ( i do not have damp problems with existing floorboards) the floor is reasonably flat within 3mm.

Do I nail, float, glue or all the them (kidding). It seems everyone has different opinions, any help will be appreciated.
also will the boards be able to expand if I nail.

Sponsored Links
I use Novia building paper and never had any problems in 15 years of fitting.

http://www.novia.co.uk/building_paper_main.html

It is a moisture barrier but not 100% so lets your floor and void breath. Simply roll it out and secret nail your floor down. And yes it will still expand and contract.

Expansion gap required around room perimeter and door frames

Never glue solid wood

Ahhh pooop, I had to fit the floor as the Queenie was pestering to get the room finished.

Thanks for the advise, I will certainly use it next time, I secret nailed it directly to the floor boards, looks great just hope it stays put.

Anyone intending to use Wickes solid oak flooring be prepared for lots of short boards, they go down ok though.

Hats off to you flooring Guys, after secret nailing over a 1000 nails I was banjaxed, a day and a half of step arobics...

Thanks again..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back