Narrow timber workshop next to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm planning to erect a timber workshop but after reading a few old threads it looks like I may have to rethink.
It will be sited next to an outside wall of my downstairs neighbours property, it's a two floor maisonette of which my property is on the first floor. It will be within my private garden.
Because the site is quite narrow, 2.8 x 6.7m, I need to fill the footprint as much as possible. By the time I've put in a decent amount of insulation for sound and heat I'll be left with a thin but still usable space. I've read however that having a timber structure that close, about 50mm or less, to an outside wall is a big no-no.

Because it's a maisonette and not a house I'm aware that I'll need planning permission so I've started drawing. There's a sketch of the proposal attached with fence panels between my property and the public pavement omitted for clarity. This sketch shows the existing levels as there's a concrete plinth currently in place.

Because of regulations on how high from the pavement the eaves of the structure can be, 2.2m will be my limit, I'm also thinking of removing the plinth and digging down so that you step down from the garden path into the workshop. I'm hoping to be able to store 8' x 4' sheets standing up. If in timber, I propose to build the unit on piers to try and avoid the creation of a concrete pond below the existing ground level. I'm on clay soil though so this may still be a problem.

So two big problems to sort out. Can I build in timber and is my level change going to give me grief?

Please help.

Attachments

• Workshop idea.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 165
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back