NASA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that convensional ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity.

To combat this problem, NASA scientists commissioned a $12 billion project to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300 C.

The Russians on their missions used pencils !

Sponsored Links
:LOL: ...............Russian/French collaboration in engineering..that would be interesting

It is also written ...

Pencils were initially used by all space Jocks ... Were replaced for very good reasons... Think Appolo 1 tragedy...

Cost of pen etc ...... Urban mythology.

"In December 1967 he (Paul C. Fisher) sold 400 Fisher Space Pens to NASA for $2.95 each."

They have been used ever since on all manned space flights, American and Russian.

[url=http://history.nasa.gov/spacepen.html]Here .. Nasa [/url] said:
Fisher developed his space pen with no NASA funding. The company reportedly invested about $1 million of its own funds in the effort then patented its product and cornered the market as a result.
In 1967, after rigorous tests, NASA managers agreed to equip the Apollo astronauts with these pens. Media reports indicate that approximately 400 pens were purchased from Fisher at $6 per unit for Project Apollo.
The Soviet Union also purchased 100 of the Fisher pens, and 1,000 ink cartridges, in February 1969, for use on its Soyuz space flights. Previously, its cosmonauts had been using grease pencils to write in orbit.
Both American astronauts and Soviet/Russian cosmonauts have continued to use these pens

:D :D

Sponsored Links
I had one of those Fisher pens back in the 80's. I remember that it had gas behind the ink to force it against the rolling ball. The ink was really gloopy and stringy though - can't say I used it much.

breezer said:
is nasa also not responsible for teflon?

Entirely from memory, no I don't think they did, I believe it was developed by DuPont, but not with any NASA connitations. I've heard the story before though, along with WD40, I don't think the teflon (polytetrafluoethane, hence PTFE) is correct. No doubt I will be corrected by some smart ar*ed google nerd however !

Agile said:
When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that convensional ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity.

To combat this problem, NASA scientists commissioned a $12 billion project to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300 C.

The Russians on their missions used pencils !

There was however good reasons for this. The Americans did not take take pencils into space due to the additional hazards they presented. If the graphie (pencil lead) was to snap, being in zero gravity, the electrically conductive material could present a real hazard if it got into any of the electronic devices. There was also the hazard of pencil shavings floating about the place.

RF Lighting said:
If the graphie (pencil lead) was to snap, being in zero gravity, the electrically conductive material could present a real hazard if it got into any of the electronic devices.

The Russians used IP rated equipment . . . :LOL:

The Russian IP rating system:

first number
1 Doesn't matter about ingress as the huge gaps around the seals will allow any objects to just pass through.

second number

1 Doesn't matter if anything gets in the equipments gonna fail anyway.

third number

you kidding?

i wonder if one of them spirograths would work,Afterall it's just a pressure mat reflecting the wording.. :?:

Sponsored Links
Back