Nearly ready for dye ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am removing all the old orange varnish from my 70's stairs. It looks like pirana pine. The treads and strings are vanished. The bannisters were the same but they are now in the skip :LOL:

I would just like to know - what grade of paper I should use before applying wood dye ? Does it need to be silky smooth, before I can dye it.
Whatever is best I am ready to do ;)

I am only dying the treads - the strings will be painted.

many thanks once again.

Stoyer.

Sponsored Links
I'd use a coloured oil rather than dye, dye can end up looking patchy as it will be absorbed more and less in areas depending on the finish of the wood.

Thanks for the reply - your right, I have tried some dye on a sample of the timber and it is fairly patchy.

What about sandpaper ?

What grade prior to applying the oil ?

Thank you

Stoyer

Sponsored Links
You really want to get as good a finish a possible, depending how ruff they are already you could do 60 then 100 to finish off, you want to concentrate on getting any end grain areas as smooth as possible. When you first apply oil it will look a bit patchy but after the second coat it will even out, I apply it using a small brush with a lint free cloth to buff/wipe over. You could also dab areas where its end grain with oil on the cloth to allow less to be absorbed.

But don't worry as dark patches where mores been absorbed will even out over time.

//media.diynot.com/127000_126672_19710_10952577_thumb.jpg

Gobz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back