Need a new lawn mower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
morning all

I'm in need of a new lawn mower, my lawn is appox 175m2.

I've had a black + decker electric mower which has been ok. In the argos cat. i've seen a Bosch electric mower for £150ish........looks good. But i've heard petrol mowers are better, and for £150ish i've been told i can pick up a fairly good one? But how much petrol do they consume?

Any advice would be most appreciated, any makes you would recommend? Petrol or electric? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Depends on the size of your garden. If its 50yards long a petrol one will be more powerful, self-propelled and quicker, and you won't constantly be dragging the cable about.

If you have a small modern lawn an electric mower will be less trouble.

The cost of petrol is not significant.

Dont buy a jcb mower. my flymo packed up last autumn and my old man gave me his used once jcb mower, what a load of pap,
I went out and bought a mountfield petrol mower, £150 from most good garden centres and a few rubbish ones as well, filled a 5 litre can up with petrol and tottled off to cut my lawn.
Now up to today i have cut the lawn with this mower 6 times, its 70ft long by 20ft wide and i still have half a can of petrol left in the can.
The cut is far superior to the electric mower as well
Hope that helps

cheers for the replies ;)

Considering the ever increasing price of petrol + skyluescooby having mowed 6 times + yet having 1/2 tank left..........sounds like it's not gonna drink petrol like a car.

As i was saying about the Bosch mower........it's £150 + looks good, i'm not bothered about the cable etc. I want a good close cut + reliable machine.........hence Bosch should be good?

If I do go for a petrol mower, i'll be spending £150ish.........i know you have recommended a Mountfield scooby, but you havn't had it too long tho. Any other manufacturers recommended for that price or should I go for a Mountfield then? Argos do a McCulloch 3540 PD Petrol Self Propelled Lawnmower for £150 + McCulloch 3540P for £100

Sponsored Links
I got the mountfield on recomendation, my neighbour's garden is about the size of three tennis courts and he has has the same mower for 5 years, only had to change the spark plug once, At the end of the season he simply unplugs the spark plug and leaves it in the garage, next year connects it up and it starts first time.
To date mine has had no problems whatsoever.

The other point to consider is that should you invest in an electric mower you may have problems when faced with wet grass or when indeed it begins to rain half way through a mowing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back