need a roofer - tips pls!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak in my roof and the water is dripping into my bedroom after the constant rainfall of today, so basically i need to get a roofer in asap. I've taken a quick look through the yellow pages and there are loads of roofers in my area (bristol). In the ads i notice some mention "free estimate" while others say "free quotation". Obviously I’m more interested in a quote because i have a limited budget and i don't want any unexpected costs at the end of the work.

In general what is the norm in the industry? If you specifically request a quote for work are you more than likely going to get one?

At the moment my mum is (i hope) frantically searching through her paperwork trying to find the number of a roofer who she recommends, but i'm not confident it's going to be located. So, does anyone have any tips on what i should be looking out for when filtering through the ads in the yellow pages?

I can't decide if i'd be better off going for a larger company or an individual who boasts many years experience. Also, some ads boast guarantees on work so I assume I should be only looking at those that offer this. I guess to a large extent it's pot luck if the roofer is going to be any good, but if anyone can give me a nudge in the right direction it’d be much appreciated!

thanks

Sponsored Links
Ask your friends and neighbours.

Have a walk round the area looking for people having work done. Sadly you're too late for that, because the best option is to ask them, 6 months or more later, if the job seemed to be a good one.

I hope you've been up in your loft, and out in the street with a pair of binoculars, looking at the damage so you know what's wrong.

i live in a victorian terrace with a vally roof and the problem is in the front bedroom - right at the very front. there's a leak and there and there's damp all around that area.

i've taken a look in the loft and i see where the water is dripping in. it appears to be coming from the front of the valley. i know very little about roofing so i'm not sure what's going on there, but it's in a really tricky position so i can't get to it to investigate properly and cover the leak up. and i have no means of getting on the roof.

is there some kind of accredited association of roofers that perhaps might be a good place to look one up?

Sponsored Links
That`ll be a lead sheet job ..........try googling the Lead sheet association ;) some roofers can do lead, and some old school plumbers can .....but a lot of "roofers" can`t :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back