Need a strimmer - But

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok i need a strimmer, electric or petrol, as the garden is not too big, but everyone you find seems to have loads of bad reviews, like line feeds not working, plastic gears melting, and petrols not starting.

Can someone recomend something reliable and well built in electric or petrol without spending hundreds, looking around £65 if electric or £150 if petrol

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't like to recommend a petrol strimmer for that sort of cash, but our long lost and lamented Merlin50 recommended a Stihl FSE 41 240v strimmer. The cost was something around the £60 mark, if I recall.
John :)

I have a stihl fs40 petrol strimmer(£140ish). I think it is excellent for the money.
I've had it just over a year, keep the petrol/oil mix right and you should have no problems starting it

I have a stihl fs40 petrol strimmer(£140ish). I think it is excellent for the money.
I've had it just over a year, keep the petrol/oil mix right and you should have no problems starting it

Yep, that could do the job fine.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I bought a RYOBI petrol jobby at one point as I was sick of poor electric strimmers and the hassle of cables. The RYOBI never really worked properly and packed up not long after I got it back from warranty repair (after using it only a couple of times). The FIL to be is going to look at that at some pont. I ended up getting one of these which is a viscious thing capable of cutting just about anything

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...nd+DIY|14418702/Trail/searchtext>STRIMMER.htm

My advice (based on limited experience no doubt) is petrols are bulky, heavy and generally a lot of effort and expense for a small garden.

Avoid battery strimmers like the plague

Go for a "decent" brand mid or high end corded electric like the one above.

They will all get line jams.

Wear eye protection

Wear foot protection

strimmers you want a sthil they come in various sises and price ,set up right you will have no problems i run a garden maintenance compant we operate 10 sthil strimmers 5 days a week stretch your budget and relax.

Might I suggest a local hire shop. Try a petrol and see how you get on. Not expensive and if convenient to you, why bother buying? Nearly always excellent service for a small weekend rate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back