Need a "thing" to shut off an isolation valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Yep, a thing. I've searched online but I'm not sure what term I need to use to search.

IMG_20200325_191225.jpg

I need to shut the two isolation valves off to change the pump. It's in an awkward location so getting to it with an adjustable spanner or mole grips runs the risk of messing the square head up.

Can I buy something that's designed for the job? If so, what's it called?

Cheers
Andy

Sponsored Links
Small adjustable spanner or mole grips shouldn’t mess it up. You’re only going to be turning it off once and then back on again. How about trying a small socket on it ?

Adjustable spanner, small (correct sized) open ended spanner, head off an old gate valve sometimes works, and a 4 way utility key sometimes works. Do not use pipe grips or water pump pliers unless you want the brass sheared and chewed.

You probably have gate valves elsewhere in your airing cupboard. Remove the wheel head from one of those. The spindles are the same size. And be prepared for the pump valves not closing completely. I always bung a system when changing a pump as so many old valves no longer work properly.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back