Need advice about land drainage and where the water is to go

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, have posted on the building forum about our 105 ft soil retaining wall around our extention before. We live on a slope in a rural location and have built an extention to our cottage on the top side of the slope, which involved removing many hundreds of tonns of soil. We have just built a soil retaining wall some 105ft long around the extention-big extention. We are laying drainage piping behind the retaining wall and at the bottom of the extention wall as per building regs. But they did not say where the water is to go. Our builder at the time of the build said to dig a 1x1m hole down the garden and fill it with hardcore for the water to soak away into. Our garden has a brook at the bottom of it so any water would end up there anyway and our soil is heavy clay so a soakaway is a no go. Can we not just lay the pipes so they go into the brook. Any thoughts on this matter would be most helpfull.

Sponsored Links
practically yes, but you may need to check with with the nra as they may say no!

I'd put a large bet that if you ask the question the NRA will say no. Even if the soil is very heavy a suitably sized soakaway should do the trick.

in heavy clay? how big a soakaway would you suggest?

Sponsored Links
in heavy clay? how big a soakaway would you suggest?

What worst case water flow rate into the soakaway do you want me to base my calculations on ? Or what area ( m2 ) are you collecting water from ? - If I knew that i can calculate the flow you'd get during a typical English deluge from the skies ! . ;)

Yes - amazingly even heavy clay will soak up water ! .:cool:

yes i know it will, but how big will it need to be to efficently deal with the water? If there is a route out for the water to take then its better than having it sitting in a clay swimming...sorry soakaway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back