Need advice for slot shelving install

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First... where to buy from...?

I've looked at b&q and screwfix. Will most likely go for screwfix unless someone suggests otherwise.

To screw to the wood panels, I need 2 heights of screw per shelf.
Any guidance here? I'll just use brass wood screws that I have unless suggested otherwise.

I want to use 2m on the wall. Is it better to go for 4 pieces of vertical or 2 pieces of 2m?

Last... anything else I need to worry about?
Seems pretty simple.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
By slot shelving do you mean the type where you screw vertical runners to the wall and hook in shelf supports?
Don't understand what you mean by needing 2 heights of screw per shelf. Are you using brackets that slope from back to front? If so then yes you will need 2 different lengths of screw to hold the shelf in place.
For a span of 2metres I would use 4 vertical supports.

@Bunnerman - ouch!! THANK YOU! I would never have thought of. Was planning just to screw onto the wall.
Makes perfect sense now that you mention.

@conny Yes, you've got it right. That's what I was referring to.
Just to be clear, see this image:
fdSV99H.jpg

Need 3 screw for this one.

The span I need is 90cm.

I'm looking online. Super cheap price - but one off big delivery price in places I have looked at so far.

Sponsored Links
@OM2 I think I got mine from B&Q or Homebase, might even have been Screwfix. Order on line and pick up at store. You will get it into a standard car no problem.

I've only ever focused on getting good fixings on the vertical slot bar. As per the diagram the OP posted, I'd just put a 20mm screw onto the outer fixing hole, it's a lateral force on the shelf so it's not going anywhere.

Something else... on this website they have 470mm long shelves: twinslotshelving.co.uk
Is that tooo long?
The longest screwfix have is 370mm.
I would like to have 470mm - but not if it gives no strength!
Let me know what you guys think
Thanks

Something else... on this website they have 470mm long shelves: twinslotshelving.co.uk
Is that tooo long?
The longest screwfix have is 370mm.
I would like to have 470mm - but not if it gives no strength!
Let me know what you guys think
Thanks

Depends on what the shelves are made of and how far apart the supports are. Surprised you can get shelves that long TBH.

Shelves will be wood from Ikea wardrobes that stored just incase I might need
It's cheap wood, but heavy

The length isn't the concern.
The concern is if the triangle below is high enough

This is a pic from the website:
Dr63nEo.jpg

Looks too small?

Think of an L-shaped bracket. And think of a claw hammer pulling a nail out.

The vertical arm takes the load to the wall, and needs to be higher that the length of the bracket. I have some that go up to about ceiling height, and it's the top screw that needs to be longest, strongest, and very securely driven into the wall. Then it can carry bookshelves (which are very heavy)

The arm has to go upwards from the shelf. Think of your claw hammer again. You (gravity) are pulling the hammer (the shelf) downward. If the nail was at the top, and the plank was held steady below, it would not resist much.

I have some deep shelves for AV equipment, might be about 500mm deep, but the equipment is pretty light.

oh, and I used to have one for a combi microwave, that was pretty heavy and about 500mm deep. It is very difficult to get a long screw in. The short ones at the front are easy, but are not very secure if the shelf is chipboard or similar. I might go for a long, thin nut and bolt if I needed to do it again.

the microwave in now in a wall cabinet, on hanging rail, which is very strong, top fastening again to minimise pull-out.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
@JohnD that all reads like cryptic writing that isn't easily understood by a layman :)
Are the slotted shelves a bad idea in the first place?
Usage: for storing kitchen stuff.
Not heavy duty - but then the wife may not understand limits.
It wouldn't be too hard or expensive to add 2 beams of wood at the front to make supporting pillars.

@JohnD just read your next reply. I find it hard to believe it's holding up a microwave? You are sure they are slotted shelves? Any chance of getting a pic?

of your claw hammer again. You (gravity) are pulling the hammer (the shelf) downward.
More to do with levers, turning moments and force supplied by the arm rather than gravity

Sponsored Links
Back