Need advice on bedroom airconditioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved recently to a what is a very warm terraced house. Location is on a VERY noisy road so can't open windows and with summer approaching i need aircon! Only want to fitout bedroom. Seeking a system that doesn't need to be filled/emptied with water. Does such a system exist?
Can't open windows for exhaust hose so I guess a split unit approach is called for. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Until 30mins ago I knew zilch about aircon and I don't know much more now.

The bedroom is small with little space for one of those mobile units on castors. The bedroom is at the front of the house and upstairs so I can't have the "outside unit" stuck on the wall like a barnacle. I guess I could position this 2nd unit at ground level but I don't want to run the connecting hose down the length of the house. And before you ask I don't want to conceal it in a chase!

So I was thinking of a ducted unit, the sort of thing you sometimes see in an office/hotel where just the vent is visable. Seeking something the size of an A4/A5 piece of paper. I need to know if this is viable. So here are some questions:

1. Can I fit the vent at ankle/calf level and the condensing kit up in the attic seperated by a few metres? I am unclear of the physics governing condensation but can it be made to "flow" uphill? Or is the distance too great for the connecting duct/hose. If this is not possible I am able to mount the condensor at the same height as the vent. The vent will be fitted in a partioned wall which backs onto a cupboard.......into which the condensot could go. Prefer the attic though as cupboard is full of clothes and my girlfriend's extensive collection of shoes...

Note: I can't fit the vent in the ceiling as construction is lathe and plaster (victorian house) and the last time I fitted a light, half the bloody ceiling came down.

Note: it would be possible to fit the vent higher up the partioned wall so that distance to the attic-mounted condensor was say 1/2m. But the loss of head issue would remain. Is this a problem.

Also would the elevated vent position aid circulation or is the ankle/calf level OK?

I am hoping that the condensor doesnt need to be continuously emptied/filled with water since an attic location would be a pain to get to.

Thanks for any help you can give me please as well as advice of where do buy, what to buy, self install etc etc.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
We have got one of these in our office www.airconco.com/?source=espotting (click onto the DIY System tab) and we just switch it on and forget about it ! Everything is automatic and the only thing you will need is a approx 4" hole thru' the outside wall to draw the air in.

thanks for your efforts. the system is indeed an option but i think i want something with less visual intrusion. even if its not a fully ducted system, something that allows me to place the bulk of Unit1 in the cupboard with just the vent on the bedroom side. the wall is only a few cm thick. does such a product exist? the vent would have to be flange mount i would have though. cheers 4 the reply tho!

NO, not if you are going to be that rude.

Masona went to the trouble of looking up the air con units that they have where he works, then posted the information. (he did not have to)

You could have been more polite with your reply.

You can still click on the edit button and change it (as i have just done)

Sponsored Links
oooops, i meant to say:

sorry i didnt mean to be rude. it certainly wasn't my intention.

Hmmmm,maybe you do need a air condition to cool you down !! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Tony

Im an air conditioning engineer so maybe I can help advise. You need a Wall Mounted Split System. For a room 12 feet x 12 feet a 2.5 or 3 KW system will be sufficient I think.

The Outdoor unit can be mounted at the rear of the house up on the wall where it will not stick out like a "barnacle" . The maximum run or length is around 30 Metres which is plenty.

The water or condensate can run off via a small 22 mm overflow pipe at the front of the house.

If you want to lift it, ie pump it up, that is also possible.

I wouldnt advise putting the outdoor unit in the attic

The indoor unit is aesthetically pleasing, has a remote controller and lovres, three fan speeds, jet cool and also plasma electronic filtration for smoky rooms, or those with hayfever or sensitive to bacteria.

You can but a complete system for less than 600 pounds, minus installation.

LG have taken out a new system which doesnt look like an air conditioner at all. It looks like a picture on the wall.

Tony

Im an air conditioning engineer so maybe I can help advise. You need a Wall Mounted Split System. For a room 12 feet x 12 feet a 2.5 or 3 KW system will be sufficient I think.

The Outdoor unit can be mounted at the rear of the house up on the wall where it will not stick out like a "barnacle" . The maximum run or length is around 30 Metres which is plenty.

The water or condensate can run off via a small 22 mm overflow pipe at the front of the house.

If you want to lift it, ie pump it up, that is also possible.

I wouldnt advise putting the outdoor unit in the attic

The indoor unit is aesthetically pleasing, has a remote controller and lovres, three fan speeds, jet cool and also plasma electronic filtration for smoky rooms, or those with hayfever or sensitive to bacteria.

You can but a complete system for less than 600 pounds, minus installation.

LG have taken out a new system which doesnt look like an air conditioner at all. It looks like a picture on the wall.

around 6 to 10 pence per hour
They are whisper quiet inside
Acceptable hum outside unit

thanks for the info. like the idea of the LG one. not on their website so i rang em up. 2 new models. ArtCool and ArtMirror. He's not sure when they're out in UK. theyre out in korea apparently. the latter looks like a plasma screen, sort of mirrored. another type allows users to insert different coloured pictured fronts. he's not sure if LGE UK will import it though. price for ArtCool is approx 700 for a 3.5kw but i have to check with distributors. 2b honest this is too much for me esp as i can get a haier twin system for around half that. are haier any good do u know?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back