Need advice on fitting new washing machine

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've bought a new washing machine.
The pipe fitting on the back of the washing machine - the one that connects to the water, how tight should I make it?

I assumed hand tight - not much tighter than a tap - maybe just a little more.
On a youtube video, I saw a guy use a spanner.
Surely that's too much tightness?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Fully hand tight - and then a fraction more.....it can depend on how easy it is to get your hand in! Make sure you don't distort the plastic nut at all.
John :)

Or cross thread the nut. Plastic on plastic very easy to cross thread with disasterous consequences.

Sponsored Links
Hand tight + a tiny bit more. That's what I thought - after all, that's what the rubber washer is there for I guess.

Cross threading - no idea what that is! Let me know if I need to know what it is.

Cross threading is where the threads aren't mated correctly.....if they aren't lined up before screwing up, the threads can ride over one another and damage will result. Great care needed to prevent hassle!
Hand tight is a curious term.....it can depend on access and how strong you are! Some connections are tight against the wall which is a right PITA.
Check for the next few hours for drips.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back