Need advice on leaking bath tub plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just installed a new bath suite but the bath is letting water out via the plug, its one of these popup plugs.

Even with the adjustment screw taken out & me pressing down on the plug, water is still leaking out of the plug..

Any ideas on how to stop this happening?

It is a silver metal plug with a decent rubber washer on the under side. The popup mechanism just pops or drops the plug - these is no pulling pressure when the plug is dropped - the plug just rests on the metal surround underneath..

Thanks

Barry

Sponsored Links
Is there a big brass screw and locking nut on the underside of the plug?

If so, adjusting this may solve the problem.

Hi,

Even with the adjustment screw taken out & me pressing down on the plug, water is still leaking out of the plug..

D'oh! :oops:

You need to check that the o-ring is seating properly. Sometimes the manufacturing is not quite right and any metal-to-metal contact could be causing it.

My guess is that the nut that joins the plughole to the waste has been put on too tight. Slacken it slightly

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions..

The rubber o-ring is sitting fine inside the plug & i checked the tightness of the plastic insert connecting the bath to the waster but it was not on very tight (I silicone seal around the outside of the join on the bottom of the bath just to be sure & this is helping to hold it on tight..)

There is a small amount of play when the plug is in the hole - fractionally side to side, I wonder if the plug is slightly too small?

Maybe i could coat the plug/rubber seal in something to make it fractionally larger??

Cheers

Barry

There is a small amount of play when the plug is in the hole - fractionally side to side, I wonder if the plug is slightly too small?

There shouldn't be any play unless something's stopping the plug from moving downwards.

It should sit firmly in the plughole, even if the o-ring isn't making contact.

I'm assuming we're talking about an ordinary pop-up waste, not the click clack type.

[quote="
It is a silver metal plug with a decent rubber washer on the under side. The popup mechanism just pops or drops the plug - these is no pulling pressure when the plug is dropped - the plug just rests on the metal surround underneath..
isn`t the big plug connected to

big silver round overflow chrome big thingy, they usually are. Bet you charged for plumbers rates as well.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions..

The rubber o-ring is sitting fine inside the plug & i checked the tightness of the plastic insert connecting the bath to the waster but it was not on very tight (I silicone seal around the outside of the join on the bottom of the bath just to be sure & this is helping to hold it on tight..)

In which case, try tightening the nut inside the strainer to decrease the diameter of the plughole ;)

side to side, I wonder if the plug is slightly too small?

Bit like your brain..... :rolleyes:
@Bambergaspipe
If you haven't got anything useful to say maybe you should dog some other forum?

@mogget: yes it does fit fine/flush inside the housing but somehow the water is leaking out slowly...

@swidders
I will try tightening the screw - though it is plastic (so is the surround), so i am not sure how much pressure it will take...

Are you sure it's the plug that's letting by and not leaking between the waste fitting and the bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back