need advice: replace with picture window or bay window?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm in need of advice on replacing our big living room picture window. More style/curb appeal/home value advice, really.

ISzperu4cd0k2r.jpg

Should I replace the big window to the right of the front door with another picture/double hung combination? Or should I spend the extra $2k and make it a bay window? I was kinda thinking that the bay may add some curb appeal by adding depth to an otherwise flat front. But, i can't decide whether that is worth the extra cost. Would a bay window add any more value to a house than a picture window of the same size?

Thanks ahead of time for the advice!

Sponsored Links
traditional bay would look kind of odd with that property.

I'm guessing the extra $2k doesn't include modify the roof to blend the shape in, becuase you don't have enough height IMO.

Why not have an arch/frame of flowers, etc over your front path? or landscape/garden your front lawn? Curb appeal is about aesthetics, creating a first impression, rather than an unnecessary extension that isn't going to buy you much space.

thanks for your opinion 0000. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Re: the roof. The window would be only 10 inches below the soffit, so the plan was just just fill in the space between the top of the bay and the soffit with insulation and use trim boards which are color matched with the soffit. No modification to the roof.

I think I agree with you that it wouldn't help curb appeal much and that there are other, cheaper ways to improve curb appeal.

Yeah bay windows have certain proportions that look right, it would just look wrong to have a one off bay on a property like that, it would look out of place. A town house would be a different matter. But only period style bays are seriously going to increase the value at that footprint. Especially a double bay in UK town.

P.S. not a good idea to post in multiple sections.

Sponsored Links
Just a thought: Lower the bush in front of the window and frame it with climbers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back