need advice to expanding concrete shed base.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have just bought a house which has a 3x3m shed that is on a concrete base.
I want to knock this down and put on a 5x4m log cabin workshop. I was told that I can expand the pre existing base to cover the new required size. Is this something that is pretty simple to do? I am aware that I will need a level of hardcore, (I will be smashing up an older shed base and bricked bit to make way for my new base, so will have lots of rubble!!) And then lay concrete on top.. Anything else I should look out for??

When it comes to digging up the old base and bricks, should I hire a jack hammer or will and sds with chisel be enough? It is only about 2 x 2 meters..

Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks in advance...

Nick

Sponsored Links
Depends how thick the concrete is on the base to be broken up, but I have found a 14lb sledge hammer works wonders.

Depends on how thick and old the base is and how strong the mix was. Good quality concrete is remarkably tough.

Also, rough rubble isn't the best thing for a base as it's quite hard to tamp down - better really with compacted hardcore.

Thanks guys.

I was hoping I could incorporate some of the rubble into the base so I wouldn't need to get rid of it. I am going to have a good look tonight and see what I can do.

Thanks. Nick

Sponsored Links
It will take a while, once you've done the sledge job, get a hefty club hammer and some safety specs, and bash the biggish bits into smallish bits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back