Need an additional consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My electicity meter is in a barn next to my house, and I have a cable going from there to the house and the consumer unit. I need to provide electricity now to the barn. In the past I had a cable going from the house consumer unit back pass the meter and round on a ring circuit, but that was taken out some years back and I don't think my new house consumer unit is big enough for the job now. Can I install a second consumer unit into the barn by splitting the supply between the current consumer unit and the meter? The electricity board is coming up to move the meter down a few feet in early January, (it is 10 up a wall but that is another story...) so would this be a good opportunity to get this second consumer unit put in? Do I use some kind of junction box? Thanks.

Lee

Sponsored Links
You can use Henley Blocks to split the supply. Use 25mm2 double insulated mains tails to connect from the meter to the henley blocks, then supply each of your consumer units from there. 100A double pole isolation switches would be good, as would an RCD in the barn

Thank you for the information, I can now get a shopping list drawn up!

regards and a happy and safe new year to all DIYers.
Lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back