Need an opinion - should I go back?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to ask for some opinions.

The story is: On Saturday last week my boiler (a Glow Worm 30sxi) failed to fire in the morning. Switching it off and on a few times did nothing - each time it stopped with the red light flashing and fault codes F1 (no ignition) or F4 (gone out after igniting). Found a local plumber on the web, phoned him, explained the situation, and said I was OK to wait until Monday to avoid weekend callout charges but could he come round then.

So on Monday he arrived, opened up the boiler, and found that the burner seals were shot and leaking badly; also the seal on the cover panel was torn where it had stuck because of the heat from the leaking burner. He went off to get a new seal kit, returned a couple of hours later to fit it. He hadn't been able to find a new seal for the cover panel, and also discovered when changing the burner gaskets that there was another gasket that needed replacing but wasn't in the seal kit. However he sorted out a temporary gasket that meant we could use the boiler until he could come back with the last parts.

The next day he returned with the remaining seals, and spent another hour fixing it all up, giving the boiler a good cleaning and servicing. All working fine.

The total bill was £300 - £200 labour, £50 parts, £50 VAT. This was way more than I was expecting - but I paid without quibbles and didn't argue - he had come when asked, done a good job as far as I was concerned, pleasant guy, and it's been ages since I last needed a plumber so it's likely my ideas of prices are out of date.

So far, so unremarkable. However, the problem is that now (after a week of working well) the boiler is doing the same thing - intermittent no start, F1/F4 codes. Called the plumber again, he came round again, and said it's likely to be a faulty gas valve, but we need to wait until it fails permanently to be sure. I don't blame him for not finding this the first time; the boiler seals really were shot and it was quite reasonable to assume that they were the reason why it wouldn't fire.

But now I need to decide what to do. The simple answer is just to ask him to come and fix it - but I'm worried because this is probably a much bigger job. If his first charges were fair, I'm happy to give the work to him. But if his charges were way above average, I need to go round getting estimates from other plumbers, which is a pain and I'd rather not have to do it.

So what do the experienced plumbers here say? Would you have charged the same, more, or less for the first job?

Sponsored Links
The boiler hasn't been properly serviced, probably at all by the sounds of it. The door seal perishing could have caused damage to any one of a number of components. I assume your guy has used a flue analyser to set the boiler gas valve up after the repairs ? If so I don't think he has done a lot wrong, although I would ask him to check the burner door at the top left hand side for distortion(he wouldn't be expected to know this) although would have hoped would have noticed if it was still leaking poc.

Sponsored Links
The total bill was £300 - £200 labour, £50 parts, £50 VAT. This was way more than I was expecting - but I paid without quibbles and didn't argue - he had come when asked, done a good job as far as I was concerned, pleasant guy, and it's been ages since I last needed a plumber so it's likely my ideas of prices are out of date.

If only you had bothered to get the boiler serviced every years as recommended then the seals would have been changed every three years before they failed.

I would have charged rather less but its still not unreasonable.

You dont seem to have had many new parts. I would have expected a new silencer at the very least and in most cases the burner door is visibly distorted where it leaks.

However, you have now mentioned "getting quotes" for a repair! Unless someone attends and actually diagnoses the fault then how can he give a quote? If three attend they waste an hour each and you only intend to employ one of them to do the work.

Thats a model which fairly obviously does not work!

I always charge for diagnostic visits.

Tony

Fair comments about the servicing. As I said, I have no complaints with the guy's work. I just want a general view about the cost.

And as for estimates - well, I don't see any other way of finding out what the reasonable current going rates are. Apart, that is, from asking for opinions on the web, where I'd be wasting hardly any of anyone's time.

So there's one opinion: "Would have charged less but it's not unreasonable." Any others?

my main concern is if he used a flue gas analyser or not? This would be a key point to my advice about using him again, also £200 labour but for how long? 4 hrs ? 5? 2?

Sadly I wasn't around when he came back on the second day (my wife was home) so I don't know for sure. He just said he'd serviced it. I'll ask him tomorrow though - thanks for the advice, it's very helpful.

I'm assuming you're saying it's a fair charge if he did the full service?

also £200 labour but for how long? 4 hrs ? 5? 2?

Probably a total of 1.5 hours actually at the house - diagnosis and repair. No idea how much time he spent getting parts though, for all I know he could have got them from the merchants 5 minutes down the road, or spent hours searching. (Seems unlikely though - it's hardly a rare model.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back