Need backdoor replacing

Sponsored Links
That's an external door.

I hope you agreed to a condition schedule that included chipped paint and dirty walls, else that's the deposit gone.

That's an external door.

I hope you agreed to a condition schedule that included chipped paint and dirty walls, else that's the deposit gone.

I took photos beforr I moved in and sent them to landlords email. Howevere we are sanding all doorways down and have already replaced flooring and skirting in 2 rooms. I caoulsnt live in it like it is now.

Sponsored Links
I took photos beforr I moved in and sent them to landlords email. Howevere we are sanding all doorways down and have already replaced flooring and skirting in 2 rooms. I caoulsnt live in it like it is now.

Replacing skirting? It isn't the tentants job to redecorate the house, sure you can paint a wall or two for the kids bedroom but replacing flooring? Unless you plan to take it with you.

Replacing skirting? It isn't the tentants job to redecorate the house, sure you can paint a wall or two for the kids bedroom but replacing flooring? Unless you plan to take it with you.

I know but its me who has to live there and the flooring and skirting were awful. I intend tk live there a few years.

ASL or Registered Tenancy? If it's an ASL then get your landlords agreement to any work you do inside or you could loose your deposit.
Did your landlord supply you with an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) as part of the contract paperwork? If he has then the door is an external one (but I'm surprised that it acheived the required level with a wooden door as per your description). The certificate will have the assessors details on it and should detail any observations or additional recommended work (maybe the wooden door is in that).
No certificate then the let is...

There is no required level for an EPC, it's just a statement of the properties thermal efficiency in order to warn you of how much it'll cost to heat the place. As she's just moved in, it's more than certain to be an ASL, but very few landlords would object to the tenant doing any work, as long as it's up to an acceptable standard - it's just difficult to determine who's scale of acceptable you're working from, but it's unlikely to affect her deposit. Draught excluder would work for now, but as the landlord hand't got to do anything if it is an external door, then maybe keep an eye out for S/H back door, and come back to us for fitting advice.

It isn't the tentants job to redecorate the house
If the tenant wished to redecorate, then that's their choice, after all, it is their home, but this is where the landlord will tell them that they'll lose their deposit if the work is not up to scratch. Some landlords don;t give a damn what the tenants do, and leave it to the next ones to clear up the mess, whilst other landlords will check the first room to see he standard of their work, and decide what happens after that. But it's letting agents that are the worst, because they either don't care what you do, and will just keep the deposit, or they will tell you that you can't make any changes, and you shouldn't have moved in if you didn't like the decorative state. Interestingly enough, it the council that has the best system, because when a new tenant moves in, they'll asses the state of the property, and give you vouchers for paint etc to bring it back in to good condition.

ASL or Registered Tenancy? If it's an ASL then get your landlords agreement to any work you do inside or you could loose your deposit.
Did your landlord supply you with an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) as part of the contract paperwork? If he has then the door is an external one (but I'm surprised that it acheived the required level with a wooden door as per your description). The certificate will have the assessors details on it and should detail any observations or additional recommended work (maybe the wooden door is in that).
No certificate then the let is...
No certificate. Private let.

While I agree that it's an awful door, really insecure (a brick will open that door easily) replacing it is really something the landlord should do as it is part of the house and you cannot take it with you.
However, you may not be so lucky in getting your landlord to do so, what you could do if they refuse is offer to go half on the cost.
Which if memory serves me right would be around the £600 mark for a UPVC one. (other door types are available and other costs are too)

Join your local Freegle AND Freecycle groups and post a WANTED for a back door and frame , giving the dimensions of the hole and you may be lucky enough to catch someone who is replacing theirs.

t looks like a 2xg door to me.

If its around 44mm thick that would confirm if external.

However, does it have a 3 lever or 5 lever lock? You need 5 lever for insurance.

If it is draughty, fit draught seal strip to outside. If bottom is draughty do same, if you want a reaaly good seal fit a metal threshold, ehich will mean lopping a bit off the bottom of the door.

A recylced upvc door is a possibility but you then need to find one the right size, which coukd take some finding. New upvc doors sets are about £400 but then you need somebody to survey it, fit it, supply fensa cert, take away old which will make the door in the £600ish price bracket. Personally, I would make the existing door as good as it can be.

t looks like a 2xg door to me.

If its around 44mm thick that would confirm if external.

However, does it have a 3 lever or 5 lever lock? You need 5 lever for insurance.

If it is draughty, fit draught seal strip to outside. If bottom is draughty do same, if you want a reaaly good seal fit a metal threshold, ehich will mean lopping a bit off the bottom of the door.

A recylced upvc door is a possibility but you then need to find one the right size, which coukd take some finding. New upvc doors sets are about £400 but then you need somebody to survey it, fit it, supply fensa cert, take away old which will make the door in the £600ish price bracket. Personally, I would make the existing door as good as it can be.

Hi. No its not a level lock. Its a standard turn ket lock. Its shocking!

A turn key will have 3 levers if it's a cheap one, and then 5 levers inside it if it's a higher level of security lock. Have a look at key, and see how many steps it has.

Lol. Why have a five lever lock on a door that has a panel that can be kicked in no problem, and a frame that will split when leant on?

Sponsored Links
Back