Need electric advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically my mate wants to add a electric cooker in the property. (House converted in to 2 flats). All gas is getting removed and he wants to put in an electric cooker.

Would he be able to install a cooker ? And what size would work best?
I have included pictures below

Just to note These are previous photos he had, I know about the empty slots in the consumer unit and they have already been filled with blanks.

Attachments

• 0EA4C34D-8AC7-4CA7-AE86-47AA1074D56A.jpeg
    0EA4C34D-8AC7-4CA7-AE86-47AA1074D56A.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 9352A86A-1124-44D1-9368-51F962E8E79A.jpeg
    9352A86A-1124-44D1-9368-51F962E8E79A.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 114
Sponsored Links
No he wouldn't be able to install a new cooker. May I suggest he has the electrician run an additional cable for a cooker when he rewires both flats. It's 30 odd years old with no RCD protection. With no gas supply, an electric hob and oven is going to be a dedicated circuit for the cooker. You won't be plugging it in using a 13A plug and socket like some ovens use.

That’s what I mean as can it be done ? I just wanted to make sure. He is going to
Get an electrician in but I told
Him I would ask some electricians and see what the response would be if it was allowed to be done or not. There is no electric cooker in there at the moment just gas. Which is going to be capped off. He wants to put in a electric cooker

Sponsored Links
Perfect
So he needs to run a new wire for the cooker
Also installing RCD

No, his ELECTRICIAN needs to run a big fat CABLE from the NEW consumer unit (fuse box) with supplied RCD or RCBO. The electrician will tell or supply the correct size of cable depending on cooker size, distance from 'fuse box' and other factors such as insulation around said cable. Both of these flats will need the same and usually will have separate meters also.

I have in my mind speaker cable and electrical tape is going to be used here for some reason. Don't forget the glitter and glue to make it look pwetty.

:LOL::LOL:

EDIT: Just noticed, you only have a 60A service fuse, so the other flat will have it's own separate meter for each flat. No gas supply will mean you have electric showers. You won't be running 2 showers and 2 electric cookers PLUS everything else from that 1 supply without issues for 2 properties.

Last edited:
Incoming supply requires improvement, as it looks like SWA with the armour not connected, bedding exposed and single insulated conductors with tape on some of them.

Consumer unit has no RCDs for anything. May be possible to add an RCBO for a cooker, but many other things need to be confirmed first.
With no gas, how is space heating and hot water being provided?

They have gas at the moment. He will get the gas removed if electric can be done for the cooker

They have gas at the moment. He will get the gas removed if electric can be done for the cooker
As has been asked, what about the ('space') heating, water heating and shower(s) if./when there is no gas?

Kind Regards, John

At the moment electricity is around 27p per kilowatt-hour. Gas is around 7p. You do not need a degree in maths to work out which is cheaper! *Keep the gas cooker* and definitely keep the gas heating (until you can't get any more gas boilers - 2025 I think). Might even be worth considering the renewal of the gas central heating boiler in December 2024 depending on how things go between now and then!

definitely keep the gas heating (until you can't get any more gas boilers - 2025 I think). Might even be worth considering the renewal of the gas central heating boiler in December 2024 depending on how things go between now and then!
it’s not that dreadful! The gas and oil boiler banner ban in 2025 only applies to newbuild properties. There are no plans to phase out gas boilers in existing homes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back