Wiring an Electric Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my gas hob with an electric hob. I currently have an electric cooker which is connected to the cooker point. Can I wire the hob into the same point?

The cooker has a total rating of 4398W and the Hob has a rating of 6.2KW. The cooker point has its own cable into the consumer unit with a 32 Amp fuse.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
4398 + 6200 = 10598 divide by 230 = 45 Amps

You may find it trips a 32Amp MCB :LOL:

Is it possible to change the MCB or is 45Amps to high to run both appliances from one socket. Also would I need to change the cable. The cooker was installed before I moved into my property so I am unsure what size cable was used is there a way I can check what cable was used?

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks I will try to do that.

What size cable would i need to run both appliances safely and can I change the MCB to run both from one socket??

with the recent spate of pedanticness, is nobody at all worried about this suggestion:

stevej8277 said:
Is it possible to change the MCB or is 45Amps to high to run both appliances from one socket

10mm min for both
4mm / 6mm for just hob
2.5mm / 4mm just for oven

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back