Need help buying a cable

Even older rubbers are not necessarily a problem. I have two cables, supposedly of the same age and same manufacturer. One has all its core jackets crumpling into dust, the other cable is in perfect condition. The outer cable jacket for both are fine and probably PVC. I am of the belief that the failure is due to commercial entrapment rather than material failure. A deliberately heat-aged cable might have been installed. The crumbling cores were arranged in such a way to increase the chance of a short circuit. The appliance did suffer from triggering the the circuit breaker in the past. Years later, now, I have finally found the reason.
Paranoia.

You think factories go to the trouble and expense of pre-aging their cables?

Sponsored Links
I am of the belief that the failure is due to commercial entrapment rather than material failure. A deliberately heat-aged cable might have been installed. The crumbling cores were arranged in such a way to increase the chance of a short circuit. The appliance did suffer from triggering the the circuit breaker in the past. Years later, now, I have finally found the reason.

That is a simply crazy theory. The volatiles in rubber naturally leach out over time and especially quickly in a warm environment - which was one of the reasons the covered VRI (VIR) cable with a waxed cotton, to help prevent the leaching and embrittlement. It even happens to vehicle tyres too.

Probably the difference between your two cables is one is rubber and the other silicon rubber which doesn't suffer leaching.

Paranoia.

You think factories go to the trouble and expense of pre-aging their cables?

I said nothing about the factory. It seems logical for people who deal with the end user directly to install such wires. Give it some bending, the core rubber crumbles and chance of short circuit increases with no external signs. Pretty clever, I think.

The reason I thought it was steel was because the live core was cut (not by me) leaving a single strand holding it all together. After my playing with it, the strand did not break and I had to snip it with wire cutter. Non-enforced copper would have broken from my manipulation.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Probably the difference between your two cables is one is rubber and the other silicon rubber which doesn't suffer leaching.

Unlikely, both appliances are of same age and make. Rubber crumbling would have been done from deliberate heat-ageing.

But I did feel it stronger. The fact other people are saying it, confirms it for me: https://www.pacergroup.net/pacer-news/tinned-copper-vs-bare-copper/

You are misreading it, read it again....

"Primarily, it strengthens the copper’s natural properties, making it better equipped to resist humidity, high temperatures and wet environments which is why it is found in high quality marine wire."

It doesn't make it stronger as it's breaking strain, or stiffness, it simply reinforces copper's natural properties. Copper does suffer more oxidation in a hot environment and suffers badly in a moist environment. Both are a particular problem for stranded flexible cables, where the strands expose more surface area than a solid core would.

A common issue is that of coax cable used for TV antennas, where the outer covering can become damaged by abrasion from the wind movement - moisture will rot the copper cores.

Unlikely, both appliances are of same age and make. Rubber crumbling would have been done from deliberate heat-ageing.

Nonsense! Why would a manufacturer of cable deliberately wreck their cable and their future sales by heat-ageing it?

I think will duck out of this silly argument and leave you to it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back