Need help connecting dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently bought a new house and we've just bought our first ever dishwasher as well (yay!).

A friend said her partner could help connect it, so he came round, and connected our waching machine, but not yet the dishwasher.

He said he had to go and get something (pointing at the wite piping connectors through which the water runs) and he said something about a new/different hose.
However unfortuanately our friend and him broke up, so he won't be coming back here, meaning i now need to use my 2 left hands and zero DIY skills/knowledge to connect this dishwasher :eek:

IMAG9529.jpg

Washing machine on the right is connected up and working.

IMAG0203.jpg

The cubboard, that'll get a full clean before everything gets plummed in.

So, question 1. When he was here he went to the front of the house, just off our driveway, opened some little round cover in the pavement, and switched off something ? Would that have been the main connecting for the water to the house ?

Do i need to do that for the dishwasher, or was that perhaps only neccessary for connecting the waching machine ?

Looking at the back of the dishwasher i can see this :

IMAG0195.jpg

And i can also see the 2 hoses coming from the waching machine (which apperently is plugged into the cold tap only, as it heats it own water)

IMAG0196.jpg

The cold water hose from the waching machine goes in here :

IMAG0208.jpg

And the ?waste water from the wachine machine goes down in this thing :

IMAG0205.jpg

Now, from the dishwasher he connected the waste pipe into this hole, and put some clip around it :

IMAG0210.jpg

However the red hose that comes out of the dish washer is not connected :

IMAG0199.jpg

This picture is the only picture in the instruction manual :

IMAG0213.jpg

And these are a couple more pictures of all the pipes under the sink :

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

So,

1) Do i need to disconnect the water from the cover on the pavement outside the house ?

2) Where do i plug watercable with the red end into ?

3) Do i need to use those little red and blue taps under the sink whilst doing any of this ?

4) Does any of the white connecter pipes look like they need replacing for whatever reason ?

5) Anything else i need to know or any other tips/advice ?

Sponsored Links
You will need a tap connector fitting for cold feed to dishwasher.

Hi,

I'm not a plumber, but I would isolate the washing machine feed and fit a y connector then attach both the dishwasher and washing machine feeds to that.

The bit I mean is like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-y-piece-bsp/81000

That's the simplest way I can think of if you have clearance above the existing one to connect it.

Graeme
Eta : you won't need the red valve for modern cold feed machines and make sure the blue one is off before unscrewing the washing machine :D in the pics it's in the on position

I don't think you have enough clearance for a Y connector if your skills and tool kit are limited one of these is your best bet.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/self-cuttin...match||plid|&gclid=CLaYxpefg70CFUcTwwod9W4Anw

Clean the crug off the section of pipe before fitting a brillo pad is ideal. :D

Take your time and check the connections for leaks over the next few days to be safe ;)

PS is this a brand new machine, because it's odd to have a red "hot" hose on it and many Bosch machines have an Aquastop unit like this

http://www.yatego.com/ersatzteil-la...quastop-ventil-bitron-original-asii-as-ii-as2

attached to the connection end.

Sponsored Links
It's a brand new machine (Bosch SMS50T22GB_WH) which came with this black hose, but i think he might have used another hose that was already there.

Though the black one that came with it is thinner then this red hose. Or doesn't that matter ?

IMAG0192.jpg

The reviews of those Y-pieces on most diy store pages aren't great by the looks of it.

Ah! that explains it :D
The flow rate into the machine is not massive so the smaller hose should be fine I would go with the new makers part as the washers will be brand new and it looks like there is a better grip on the nuts for tightening up.

You are supposed not to use tools to tighten but you often need a strong hand to get it sound "hand tight" I usually give it a 1/8 to a 1/4 turn with grips if it is in an tight spot as getting a good turn on can be difficult. Wait for the howls of anguish after that confession!! ;)

Hi,

Yes I see they the y pieces are not ideal, but be careful where you cut into the cold feed with the tap. From the pics you don't have much of a straight piece of pipe to cut into that's not near an elbow, t, or straight connector (except towards the top near what I think is the cold feed for the tap above).

It's important you get a good seat for the tap to seal to or it will leak. Like footprints mentioned, cleaning the area is important.

Changing the blue connector to a t piece may be easier?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/compression-appliance-tee-brass-x-x-15mm-bsp/24030

However now you need to isolate the cold water feed which may be the lower right stopcock?
Graeme

Argh! I seem to have flooded my kitchen! :eek:

So i switched the water supply off from that stopclock thing outside in house in the pavement. Checked the taps, no cold water.

Replaced the connecter with the blue switch with this one :

ae235

Screwed the hose from the wachine machine in on inside, and the new dishwasher hose on the other side. Switched the blue tap to on.

Switched the water outside back on again as well, and when i came back in i could see a pool of water appearing from underneath the cubboard. :mad:

Switched water outside back off, pulled dishwasher out, and tilted it a bit (mainly to get the hose off, but did notice some water seemed to escape from right in the middle of the dishwasher, onto the floor :

IMAG0274.jpg

Also, i noticed the hose and the hole at the back of the washer where i connected the hose into both have this red thing them in, which i thought was some sort of filter ? Or should i have removed those red bits first ?

IMAG0277.jpg

IMAG0278.jpg

The red things do look like filters I think you may have got the hose the wrong way round the filter goes at the tap end to stop debris entering the hose. The two filters are perhaps clashing and preventing the connection from seating correctly.

No i had the right hand band bit (which doesn't have a filter) connected to the machine, and the bit picture (with filter) connected to that new blue tap spliiter thing.

I just removed the that black hose, and used the red hose that was already here when we moved in, and connected it all up again.

It's not flooding now, but just flashing a message saying "check water".

I don't know what/where to check, i can hear noise (?filling with water) when it switches on, but that light doesn't stop flashing.

It can't be clogged up with dirt or anything as it's never been used yet.

A quick google showed this posting up.
-----------------------------
The symptoms you describe would suggest that there has been a leak into the base of the appliance.

Unplug the appliance, take it out and take the side panels off.

Use a sponge to remove any water in the base.

Once the red lever on the left resets, start a new programme and watch the filling of the appliance.

You will need to locate the source of the leak and cure that to get the appliance working again.
-------------------------
Page link for above
http://www.justanswer.com/uk-appliance/2weab-bosch-dishwasher-check-water-light-illuminated.html

The instructions for my Bosch say;"check water supply flashing" Water in the safety system call engineer. However as mine has the aquastop it may refer to that.

Thanks for that tip, i shall look into that and see if it works.

In the meanwhile, i seem to have developed another leak i didn't have before. :confused:

So i've replaced this one :

IMAG0269.jpg

With this :

IMAG0280.jpg

And it's now leaking from where i circled it, which it didn't do before.

When i screwed the old single exit tap off, i couldn't get the big round screw off, i could move it up and down, but i couldn't lift it over the top of that pipe, it was like something was preventing it coming off (i saw some white bits on the top of the tap, maybe it's that ftpe tape) so i've used the old screw to connect the new double exit tap, that came with it's own screw :

IMAG0294.jpg

But then it's not leaking from where the screw is, it's leaking further down the pipe.

Can i just get some sealant tape for that, or must i use the new screw and little round hoop that came with it ? I put a bowl under it and it managed to fill it overnight so it does leak quite a bit.

You have there a nut (silver bit) and an olive (copper bit), along with the other part they are known as a 'compression' fitting. Action of tightening the nut compresses the olive onto the pipe and seals the joint. However, if they are under or over tightened then they often can leak. :cry:

I'd try to tighten the existing fitting slightly more (dont go mad!), you'll need 2 spanners, one to turn the nut and the other to hold the T part in place. This may seal it, if so job done. If not then you may have to remove the T section, hacksaw the old olive off, (make a cut through it at about 45 ° to split it and slide it off), and then start again with the new olive.

It's leaking from the nut just above where you have circled, if you don't fancy cutting the olive off then turn off the water undo the nut and wrap PTFE tape around the olive that already on the pipe and the thread on the tee fitting, tighten back up turn water back on a little and check for leaks.
Also the machine may be alarming "check water" because it can't get enough through the red pipe as you have squashed it back in, try looping it to the appliance to avoid squashing and kinks.

You have there a nut (silver bit) and an olive (copper bit), along with the other part they are known as a 'compression' fitting.

Thanks for that, as my username probably gives away, English isn't my first language, so it's good to know what the parts are actually called. Saves me asking for the wrong bits in the shops! :LOL:

So i've managed to stop the leak. After googeling how to use PTFE tape correctly i used it on both the bolt and the olive, and that seem to have worked.

Unfortunately the machine itself still doesn't work, it keeps flashing the "check water" light and the "drying" light is illuminated.

IMAG0303.jpg

I checked the outlet hose, and tried 2 different hoses from the tap to the machine (the black one that came with it, and the thicker red one).
It makes a noise if you switch it on, but that's it.

I've taken both the sides off which i read somewhere, but that doesn't really show me anything :

IMAG0296-1.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

The fact that it keeps saying "drying" makes we wonder if there's a leak in the machine somewhere, as when i first fired it up yesterday (when i was still having hose problems) it flooded the floor from underneath :

IMAG0274.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back