Need help fitting a ceiling bracket for a punch bag

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit this ceiling bracket to my upstairs ceiling. The bolts I got with it look the same as these, they are 65mm long and round about 8mm wide. There are no nuts with these bolts and I'm pretty sure just screwing the bolts into the beams with no nuts on will not be strong enough? I don't even know if 65mm will be long enough to get through the other end of the beam?

Also I need help with working out where to put the bracket, I dont know how to work out where the beam is unless I go into the attic, then how do I work out where I am in relation to where the bracket goes on the ceiling, I could find out where the beams are but it would be a guess as to where the bracket is going to be when I drill through.

I'm not sure this is in the right catagory, if not please move but don't delete :(

Sponsored Links
If you want to drill through the roof timber and ceiling, I'd suggest you go into the loft and drill through the timber, downwards. Get some threaded steel studding to fit the bolt holes. You can cut it to length and put a nut and washer on each end.

You can measure from the walls in the room downstairs, then again in the loft, to find the right spot to drill.

If you have a modern roof with thin timber you could put a length of 100mm x 50mm across three or more of the roof timbers to spread the load

I have a punchbag fitted to the joists in my garage using the same bracket and screw-in bolts as those mentioned - and it's a sound installation. The joists don't half rattle though when it's used, so get ready for a few cracks appearing in your ceiling.

i wouldnt recomend fitting a punch bag to an upstairs ceiling at all.you wouldnt beleive the forces involved in keeping that little fella anchored.

Sponsored Links
Im sure those 'bolts' or coach screws as they are beeter known will be fine.

You will need to locate your joists, then pilot drill in the middle for the screws. so the bracket fits on the joist central.

If the ceiling joists are small, like an older property, expect a few cracks in the ceiling :!:

At the risk of being told to butt out ( as Im usually asking the questions!!!) have you thought about putting it on a bracket on the wall.
I have absolutely no idea how to advise you on how to secure it etc but we had the same problem with our punch bag.
It is now on the inside of the front house wall and whilst you cant skip right round it, its otherwise ok.

toffee said:
At the risk of being told to butt out ( as Im usually asking the questions!!!) have you thought about putting it on a bracket on the wall.
I have absolutely no idea how to advise you on how to secure it etc but we had the same problem with our punch bag.
It is now on the inside of the front house wall and whilst you cant skip right round it, its otherwise ok.

Not much space next to walls and I would rather it be from the ceiling anyway...

From what people have said I'm going to put a peice of wood across a few beams and bolt the bracket onto that peice of wood to spread the weight out, that sound right?

I reckon so. And if you paint the hook the same colour as the ceiling, although it will not be invisible, it will not catch the eye when you lift the bag off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back