Help Expansions Bolts in brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first ever post and I would be so grateful if someone could help. I have seen there is a thread on a similar topic but I don't know how to add to it - so sorry if I have put this in the wrong place.

I am putting up the brackets to hold a heavy awning. The awning comes with 12 mm expansion bolts (not rawl brand - it doesn't have a nut on it but a washer with a fixed head bolt at the end). I messed up with the manufacturer supplied expansion bolts and so bought 2 rawl branded 12 mm expansion bolts (about 100mm long) with a nut with a washer moulded together. Successfully drilled a new neat hole and hammered in the rawl expansion bolt. Problem is that the width of the washer on the nut is too big to fit the bottom of the bracket.

I need to take the bolt out of the brick wall (I have a very old and crumbly victorian house) and hopefully use the same hole to put in another manufacturer supplied bolt (it will be delivered tomorrow).

Does anyone know how to get the rawl plug out of the wall? Or is there another solution?[/i]

Sponsored Links
Could you get a separate nut and washer and file a flat on the washer to suit your bracket. Removal of a rawlbolt is difficult, you could try tapping the projecting bolt to release the wedge and try levering it out with a screwdriver. If you get a nut and washer as suggested it could stay in. Another point, you say it is a crumbly Victorian wall! I would not expect a rawlbolt to provide a good enough fixing for a heavy blind. You should consider getting expert advice to avoid a nasty accident.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back