Need help for school woodwork project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, i'd like to ask for some advice on a little project we're doing at school...In resistant materials we have to make a product that other people would buy and would benefit them. I decided to make a storage tower/unit for the PS3 and games and accessories. The picture below is the that gave me the idea. So what i suppose i'm asking is do you guys have any recomendations on what type of wood and joints i should use? And what could i do to achieve a smooth shiny black finish like that picture? I was also thinking about putting a usb led light strip which would turn on with the ps3 attached to the stand...Do you guys think that i could do this bearing in mind i'm 15? I'd appreciate feedback and any designs you find.

Sponsored Links
Blimey that takes me back. I made a record case ( You might have to Google Record lol).
Perspex lid with dovetails for the wood carcass.
But that was almost 40 yrs ago.

Your project looks good but no scope for a lot of joints and that is or was the point.
Also how much time have you got, I almost ran out because of forming the perspex.
The finish is easy, sand down well and paint but you will cover joints and again thats what your being marked on, as well as design and being original.

The light coming on could be triggered by a micro switch or a small pressure pad. Micro switch being the better option probably.

Perhaps some of the joiners here might spot this and assist.
But I cannot see where your going to show off the saw/chisel skills with this.

But I will watch this and wish you all the best.
Also assist if I can.

Alarm

Yeah...theres still lots of room for improvement...i know for a fact that this is what i want to do ( the storage ) but i haven't completely decided about the design because i'm lacking insperation...Although i asked my teacher the other day and he said it was pretty good.

is this project something that could be marketed?
or is this a 1 off for yourself?

if marketed the joints probably would be consructed by dowells,halving joints or cam locks with some kind of ply back board to keep it square.

if for your self you could try dovetail joints which imo would look nice polished up,or biscuits.
the secondery sheving could be rebated through,
do a bit of reseach on joints,draw some out on plan to rough dimentions on what you are consructing and see if they would work.hth.

Sponsored Links
Is this going towards your final exam mark ... coursework? I so then this is the wrong approach ... some call it design by Argus catalogue.

What you need to do is break down what is the purpose of each element of the unit:
for example, what needs to be stored and alternative ways of doing this. Take the CD/DVDs ... racks, slots, piles, fans (like a Rolodex), drawers, and so on - you'll need to show each of these (an more maybe) with reasons (good & bad) before settling on you final choice. This exercise should be done for each element of the unit. By the way, ready-made CD racking fitting are available for fitting into furniture; even if you don't use them in your final design you'll get extra marks for considering them.

What equipment does your school workshop have? Any CNC stuff, like a laser cutter, plastics processing tackle like Perspex bending. If you do have this stuff then your choice of materials (NOT just wood) and the form of the unit can be unlimited.

Consider using chrome dome nuts and threaded rod to hold sides together in place of glued dowel rod. Should the unit be knockdown (flat pack)? So many questions for you to consider; the more you consider the more marks you'll get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back