NEED HELP, partly removed artex from plasterboard walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had artex on my walls (plasterboard) in the living room and decided to remove it with a steam stripper. I have removed around 3/4 of the artex from the walls. The problem is, is that the walls are now covered with gouges scrapes. The tape on the joints has also come away. So I thought that I would be able to get a plasterer in to skim the walls. I had a friend come over earlier and tell me that I should have just left the artex up and have the plasterer skim over it because the plaster will blister. Is there anybody out there who knows what I can do so this won't happen? Or is there a type of plaster that you can use on the plasterboard, although there is damage caused through removing the artex?

Sponsored Links
You can use Artex Skim Coat which you skim over the old artex material as you would with plaster.

thank you masona, will that artex skim coat go straight onto the plasterboard wall also where I've removed the artex?

As long as you knock off any high spots of Artex then it can all be skimmed over with Multi-finish plaster. It will need to be given a coat of PVA adhesive first on the old artex to help it stick.

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys for helping me out here, but sorry if I sound stupid, :oops: but let me just run this through so I get it right. Knock all the high spots off the artex and give it a coat with PVA adhesive. Then skim over the artex with multi-finish plaster.

Will this plaster adhere to bare plasterboard walls without blistering? So I could skim straight from bare plasterboard to artex without any problems?
Or is there something else that I'm going to have to do?

Plasterboard is made to be skimmed so you should have no problem there, just trying to get the two surfaces flat. If into a corner no prob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back