Need Help Removing Shower!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm removing a shower from the wall in preparation for tiling. I've stripped most of it down but I can't figure out how to get these last fittings off the pipes. Can anybody help? One of the screws on the left hand pipe is rusted and I can't move it. When I get the screws out of the other side, I expected the bracket thing its attached to to just slide off - it spins around but when I pull it it pulls the pipe with it.

Sponsored Links
There appear to be Ollives on the ends of the pipes that will stop you pulling the brackets off.
If you pull the pipes slightly away from the wall, you may be able to get an olive extractor on to them, or cut them off (very carefully!) with a mutitool or similar. But this may cause more issues.
Is that an existing tile behind the pipes currently? Could this be broken off around them and a new tile inserted behind?

With the brass base screwed to the wall,how far can you pull the copper pipe out ? Enough to expose the full olive ?
Do you intend to remove the tile/s behind the brass bases ,if they are Indeed tiles ?

There appear to be Ollives on the ends of the pipes that will stop you pulling the brackets off.
If you pull the pipes slightly away from the wall, you may be able to get an olive extractor on to them, or cut them off (very carefully!) with a mutitool or similar. But this may cause more issues.
Is that an existing tile behind the pipes currently? Could this be broken off around them and a new tile inserted behind?

Thanks for the suggestions! I've just had a look at olive extractors and it appears that you need a nut on the other side of the olive to screw onto the extractor, but obviously there isn't one here so I'm not sure how I'd use one. I might have to try and cut them off. There's no tile on the wall currently so no space to insert new tile unfortunately. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
With the brass base screwed to the wall,how far can you pull the copper pipe out ? Enough to expose the full olive ?
Do you intend to remove the tile/s behind the brass bases ,if they are Indeed tiles ?
I actually can't get the pipe out at all with the base screwed to the wall.

There was a fitting that screwed on ,usually chrome coloured ,can you show a picture of it . Specifically the inner threaded bit ?
I assume you have no access to pipes on the other side of the wall ??

1. Remove olives. Various methods (and make sure you don't damage the pipe whichever you use):
1a. Pair of grips on olive and twist olive backwards and forwards round the pipe, while pulling off towards front.
1b. Cut almost through olive at an angle to the pipe. Screwdriver in slot thus created and twist.
1c. Use a set of olive cutters (not olive removers) to cut through olives. Not sure if there is enough room but probably is.
1d. Remove / cut away the brass-work securing the brackets to the wall and lever behind the remnants to force olives off. Risky.
2. Remove screws.
2a. If won't come out with screwdriver, drill screw out or cut new slot with a Dremel type tool. Try and leave enough stump of screw to remove with grips once bracket off.
2b. Lever off at least part way and cut screw. Again risky and need to leave enough to grip for final removal.

Do you need to re-use the pipes, can you access the pipes behind that wall? If not needed then hacksaw blade down the back of the mounting and through the copper.

If you do then Dremel with a metal cutting blade, cut the brass all the way around at the spot behind the threads then slice vertically along the length of the brass thread almost all the way down al then a screwdriver and twist to force apart. Brass piece should pull off over the olive. The cut down into the olive the same way and use the screwdriver to split, careful not to cut into the pipe.

Thanks all so much for the help - I can see this is something that I don't have the tools or skills for so I'm getting a pro in tomorrow!

Thanks for the suggestions! I've just had a look at olive extractors and it appears that you need a nut on the other side of the olive to screw onto the extractor, but obviously there isn't one here so I'm not sure how I'd use one. I might have to try and cut them off. There's no tile on the wall currently so no space to insert new tile unfortunately. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back