Need help with my bathroom warm floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue with my bathroom warm floor in that whenever it's on it will trip the main fuse. It used to woprk o.k., but I had a leak from my thermostatic shower valve within the wall, and part of the job involved pulling up the tiled floor (Initially it was led to believe that the shower trap had a leak). The tiles came up o.k. without disturbing the adhesive and matting within it, therefore a layer of screed was put down on top of that, then new tiles re-laid. Ever since then the warm floor has not worked. An electrician tested the matting when the tiles were removed and it was o.k. Ever since then something has happened that is causing the mat to trip the fuse. Th electrician has tested the mat since and I believe he's found an open circuit.

I'm just trying to see where I can go with this. The original mat was laid down prior to me buying the house 2 years ago, so I don't know the manufacturer. I'm trying to see if I can find a company or individual that can test warm floors with infra red to see where the problem is, so that I can potentially have it repaired.

Please help!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately your only options are to not use it, or remove the floor and install a new heating mat.

An IR camera won't help you, since the mat would have to heat up for it to be seen on the camera (and yours doesn't work, so will be the same temperature as the rest of the floor, and therefore invisible on an IR camera).

Even if the faulty section could be found, most of these heating mats are not repairable anyway.

Even if the faulty section could be found, most of these heating mats are not repairable anyway.

Warmup do a repair kit for their floors clicky but you'll need to find where the problem is first!

Get your electrician back to test the mat now the floor is back - at least then you'll know if its the element or the probe or something else...

It doesnt sound happy though.. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back