Need help with smart TRV. Unable to tell what valve body it is.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can help me figure out how to connect Kasa smart TRVs to my radiators. I've not had any experience with plumbing, barely know to how to a radiator so please bear with me.

I'm attaching pictures of what the current TRVs that I have all over the house look like and what I see when I take one of them off. 3rd pictures is the under side of the TRV. If it helps, it says Constana on top.

The bottom part of the TRV doesn't come off either, the part you have to loosen to get the thing off, unlike most other trvs I've seen on youtube.

Here's a link to the Kasa trv on Amazon, it comes with multiple connectors/adapters but I haven't been able to get any of them to fit mine.

TP-Link Kasa Smart Radiator Thermostat https://amzn.eu/d/3vltNxU

Thank you :)

Attachments

• PXL_20231018_130848621.jpg
    PXL_20231018_130848621.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20231015_160004340.jpg
    PXL_20231015_160004340.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20231015_155954459.jpg
    PXL_20231015_155954459.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There’s no link? They look like standard type trv’s, so should accept smart ones. If not, then I’m sure an adapter would help overcome.

Today the standard thread on a TVR head is M30 x 1.5 mm, there is a kit with the head for some other TRV types, but older TRV's had a larger thread on the heads, your link does show which size of TRV they will fit
1697687625619.png
looking at your TRV base likely it could do with changing anyway. I simply unscrewed old head and screwed on the new one then set the schedule. Screenshot_20231017_161317_Kasa.jpg What I want to know is where one gets a compatible thermostat/hub? Found this 1697688267432.png but it's Tapo not Kasa, I have got the Tapo push button to work with the Kasa hub, they are both TP-Link, but my TRV only shows on the Kasa app, it does not show on Tapo app, so interesting to find out how you get on with them.

Sponsored Links
Today the standard thread on a TVR head is M30 x 1.5 mm, there is a kit with the head for some other TRV types, but older TRV's had a larger thread on the heads, your link does show which size of TRV they will fit View attachment 317564 looking at your TRV base likely it could do with changing anyway. I simply unscrewed old head and screwed on the new one then set the schedule. View attachment 317565 What I want to know is where one gets a compatible thermostat/hub? Found this View attachment 317566 but it's Tapo not Kasa, I have got the Tapo push button to work with the Kasa hub, they are both TP-Link, but my TRV only shows on the Kasa app, it does not show on Tapo app, so interesting to find out how you get on with them.
Thanks @ericmark for taking the time to reply. I've just installed Nest E this past weekend, fairly certain these Tapo trvs are not compatible with Nest. I've got a Tapo H100 hub to control Tapo smart switches. Strangely though, as you have seen yourself, because I've added the hub in Tapo app, Kasa app will not recognise it as an existing hub and connect to the trvs. My plan was to use Nest to control central heating/timer and use the Tapo trvs to turn upstairs and living room off during they day and keep heating on in the office and dining.

I'm not sure what automation you're after but if you have any Amazon echo devices you might be able to achieve certain degree of automation with Alexa Routines. For example, you can do if Ring alarm is set to "home", Nest should keep the temp at xx.

Anyways, going back to my old trvs, you're right, I'm probably better off just replacing the base/head. I'll see if I can find a step by step guide on here.

Thanks

Nest Gen 3, and I assume Nest e is the same were claimed to work with Energenie Mihome TRV heads, this is why I got the Energenie heads with the idea of adding Nest Gen 3 latter.

However although there was some interconnection, and using the Energenie program it would at the same time alter both Nest and Energenie TRV heads, programmed changes of the Nest thermostat failed to alter the TRV settings, and moving the dial also failed to alter TRV setting, and the linking is the wrong way around anyway, one want the TRV to control Nest not Nest control the TRV head.

I also found since the TRV is lower than the Nest it will show a lower temperature to Nest when the heating is running, during the Summer the temperatures match, but heat raises, so heart of winter there can be 2ºC difference between the TRV recorded temperature and the Nest wall thermostat, so some off set it required.

So I removed the link, and set the TRV at a lower temperature to the Nest to ensure the boiler runs long enough for other rooms to heat up. Heating up I can control with TRV and lock shield valve, but it is the cooling down which is the problem, the hall with Nest in cools slower than the living room, however the living room has a solid fuel fire and patio doors, the dinning room has patio doors, and the kitchen also has an outside door and alternative heating, so there is no room suitable for installing a single wall thermostat to control all.

Nest USA have linked temperature sensors, but these to date have not been released for the Europe version, I use eQ-3 TRV heads upstairs and in kitchen 61dmtMm13BL.jpg these stop the rooms overheating, and work well as stand alone units, linked to one phone with bluetooth, but that means either my wife or I have control, not both of us. They were very cheap before brexit, I got them for £15 each, I have 5 of them, but the price has rocketed, the Terrier i30 is about same price now, but without bluetooth. One Energenie was smashed by carpet fitters, so I wanted a replacement, and preferred the idea of internet control, I already had Tapo stuff, so seemed good idea to use TRV's from the TP-Link stable, however reading what it said the TRV's are Kasa and use a different hub, not what I wanted, but still went for a new Kasa TRV and hub.

After buying them and been running for some time, I got a notification that the Tapo software would now work the Kasa hub, and I have not got the door bell ringing both hubs, so one on landing and one in living room, but don't seem to be able to work the TRV from Tapo hub. As said the wall thermostat is Tapo not Kasa so not sure if they will integrate.

So considering a second wall thermostat in parallel to the Nest Gen 3, so if living room cooler than hall boiler will still fire up. Getting one which will link to TRV would be a bonus, but not essential, and also could do with a programmable thermostat in the flat under main house, and it would seem prudent to have them the same. Although the flat at moment has thermostat in the kitchen, which is not an ideal location.

My boiler is oil, so does not modulate, in my late mothers house the gas boiler modulated, and there was no real need for a wall thermostat, the 4 energenie TRV's controlled the house well, but now looking at 14 heated areas, bathroom upper no control, toilet/shower middle floor simple mechanical TRV, the 4 rooms in the flat also mechanical TRV's the flat and main house both have their own pumps and motorised valves, but common boiler. So in total 9 programmable TRV heads.

I want any control devices to either be battery, or supplied from the boiler FCU, as the boiler is battery backed and that battery is charged from the solar panels in the event of a power cut, the Kasa TRV head can be manually set, so although I would loose internet, I could still control them, the Energenie relies on internet to set them.

I could run an extension lead to power the router and hubs, but one would hope loss of grid power would not be for long enough to worry about that.

I have the KH100 Hub (Kasa) and H100 Hub (Tapo) and both the Kasa and Tapo apps, the Tapo app shows both hubs,1697754943343.jpeg but not the TRV, I found using the app was not the easiest, and to change what the door bell button did I had to remove it and then put it back, the door bell function seems to have gone from main menu, in the end I got it Screenshot_20231007_170929_Tapo.jpgand both now do ring, but can't remember how I did it, so am leaving well alone.

Nest Gen 3, and I assume Nest e is the same were claimed to work with Energenie Mihome TRV heads, this is why I got the Energenie heads with the idea of adding Nest Gen 3 latter.

However although there was some interconnection, and using the Energenie program it would at the same time alter both Nest and Energenie TRV heads, programmed changes of the Nest thermostat failed to alter the TRV settings, and moving the dial also failed to alter TRV setting, and the linking is the wrong way around anyway, one want the TRV to control Nest not Nest control the TRV head.

I also found since the TRV is lower than the Nest it will show a lower temperature to Nest when the heating is running, during the Summer the temperatures match, but heat raises, so heart of winter there can be 2ºC difference between the TRV recorded temperature and the Nest wall thermostat, so some off set it required.

So I removed the link, and set the TRV at a lower temperature to the Nest to ensure the boiler runs long enough for other rooms to heat up. Heating up I can control with TRV and lock shield valve, but it is the cooling down which is the problem, the hall with Nest in cools slower than the living room, however the living room has a solid fuel fire and patio doors, the dinning room has patio doors, and the kitchen also has an outside door and alternative heating, so there is no room suitable for installing a single wall thermostat to control all.

Nest USA have linked temperature sensors, but these to date have not been released for the Europe version, I use eQ-3 TRV heads upstairs and in kitchen View attachment 317684 these stop the rooms overheating, and work well as stand alone units, linked to one phone with bluetooth, but that means either my wife or I have control, not both of us. They were very cheap before brexit, I got them for £15 each, I have 5 of them, but the price has rocketed, the Terrier i30 is about same price now, but without bluetooth. One Energenie was smashed by carpet fitters, so I wanted a replacement, and preferred the idea of internet control, I already had Tapo stuff, so seemed good idea to use TRV's from the TP-Link stable, however reading what it said the TRV's are Kasa and use a different hub, not what I wanted, but still went for a new Kasa TRV and hub.

After buying them and been running for some time, I got a notification that the Tapo software would now work the Kasa hub, and I have not got the door bell ringing both hubs, so one on landing and one in living room, but don't seem to be able to work the TRV from Tapo hub. As said the wall thermostat is Tapo not Kasa so not sure if they will integrate.

So considering a second wall thermostat in parallel to the Nest Gen 3, so if living room cooler than hall boiler will still fire up. Getting one which will link to TRV would be a bonus, but not essential, and also could do with a programmable thermostat in the flat under main house, and it would seem prudent to have them the same. Although the flat at moment has thermostat in the kitchen, which is not an ideal location.

My boiler is oil, so does not modulate, in my late mothers house the gas boiler modulated, and there was no real need for a wall thermostat, the 4 energenie TRV's controlled the house well, but now looking at 14 heated areas, bathroom upper no control, toilet/shower middle floor simple mechanical TRV, the 4 rooms in the flat also mechanical TRV's the flat and main house both have their own pumps and motorised valves, but common boiler. So in total 9 programmable TRV heads.

I want any control devices to either be battery, or supplied from the boiler FCU, as the boiler is battery backed and that battery is charged from the solar panels in the event of a power cut, the Kasa TRV head can be manually set, so although I would loose internet, I could still control them, the Energenie relies on internet to set them.

I could run an extension lead to power the router and hubs, but one would hope loss of grid power would not be for long enough to worry about that.

I have the KH100 Hub (Kasa) and H100 Hub (Tapo) and both the Kasa and Tapo apps, the Tapo app shows both hubs,View attachment 317685 but not the TRV, I found using the app was not the easiest, and to change what the door bell button did I had to remove it and then put it back, the door bell function seems to have gone from main menu, in the end I got it View attachment 317686and both now do ring, but can't remember how I did it, so am leaving well alone.
Cheers for the detailed thought process. I can only appreciate the complexity of your heating arrangement. Having a secondary thermostat might be good idea. I can't think of an alternative other than doing the same thing a thermostat does with temperature sensors.

Mine is a much simpler affair with a combi boiler heating 5 rooms downstairs and 2 rooms upstairs (bungalow). Heat link is in the hallway and thermostat is in the dining, both have temperature sensors. Hallway is always slightly warmer than kitchen/dining which I think trips over Nest a tiny bit but so far, it's doing a decent job of keeping the temperature stable rather than having the boiler blast the house in the morning and then again in the evening.

I can totally relate to wanting to be able to operate things if internet goes down. In fact, I initially wanted Tado with trv but changed my mind for a few reasons:
1. You can (apparently) control the boiler with the heat link (wireless receiver) if internet is down.
2. Didn't want to get locked into Tado ecosystem.
3. Nest heat link simply replaces existing thermostat, unlike Tado wireless receiver which needs to be hooked up to the boiler control box/circuit.
3. Nest looked nicer!

How are you getting on with Tapo doorbell? Is it the one with the camera? I've got a 2nd gen Ring one, pain in the backside to recharge but I'm sticking with it because my ring alam system plan covers cloud storage/streaming for all Ring products. I've recently installed a Blink battery powered floodlight camera and I'm finding it more convenient because it uses AA and D batteries. I think Blink doorbell also uses regular AA batteries. Their app is nowhere near as good as Ring though.

I was hoping Alexa routine would let me use the Tapo hub as a chime when doorbell rings but they don't seem to talk to each other. I do hope at some point following Matter/Thread adoption smart things will talk to each other better. At the moment, everyone is trying to lock you into an ecosystem.

No camera, but the door bell does log when pressed. Works well but my door is sheltered so door push does not get wet.
Heat link is in the hallway and thermostat is in the dining, both have temperature sensors.
That interests me, I did not think the Nest temperature sensors had been released in the UK. They would cure my problem.

The Nest thermostat has to be powered by my heat link, or with a power cut it would stop working. The boiler down stairs is battery backed and will run as long as we get enough solar to keep batteries charged, only central heating and freezers are battery backed, we would loose lights etc. But the max output is around 3 kW so only the essentials are battery backed, and we would also loose internet if we loose grid power.

I have never tried it, but I would not expect the Nest Gen 3 to have a problem with loss of internet, however it did have a problem when the EE mobile phone mast went down. The problem was I had not worked out to start with what was happening. I had geofensing set up, so Nest thought I was not home, but when I walked past the thermostat it would see I was home and turn the heating up, so looking it just seemed that the system was not coping with the weather, as each time I looked at thermostat it was running. It was only when I looked on PC I realised what had happened.

I use Nest Mini's not Alexa and they would with Tapo and Kasa without a problem. But never tried to get them to work as door bells. I just turn lights on/off with it. I find google Home app is a god send, as it means one app works all. Although not all functions.

Mother house with a modulating gas boiler there was simply no need for a wall thermostat, I had one, but it did nothing, the radiators would slowly get warmer or cooler to maintain the room temperature, they would only get hot if the heating had been off, boiler would modulate as the return water got hotter, which it would when by-pass valve lifted. I was really impressed. But this house is oil, so does not modulate, TRV's work but not as well as with a gas boiler.

But old house was open plan, late 70's early 80's and one wall thermostat controlled all down stairs, again non modulating boiler, but this allowed use of fan assisted radiator, and they do heat room fast. TRV's only fitted up stairs to stop bedrooms over heating, since the three homes so different, I realise there is no one heating that suits all. Only thing I have learnt having lived through the the winter of discontent is don't rely on electric, too easy for government to turn it off. So heat pumps are non starters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back