need info on rendering new block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi people, i have a new 5m wall which needs rendering to match existing house, cant afford to get anyone in to do it so any advice about starting it will be much needed.
im going to break it up into smaller sections with beading to make it easier to manage,
i have been reading that i need to treat it with a cement slurry first?
then roughcoat it to about 10mm deep, then key the surface, then i can apply the final coat, how long do i leave it between roughcoat and topcoat?
do i put waterproofer into all the coats?
do i wet the bare block with water/pva mix first, let dry then apply cement slurry? if so trowel slurry on?
do i use a 3:1 mix to fix beading on the wall or the same mix as the roughcoat
problem reading about it online can get a bit confusing as to the best way to approach this.
hope someone can point me in the right direction.
i have a bag of holm sand(mortar), is this the right sand to use?
i have read differing opinions on using sand which sand is correct, sharp, plastering?
1 website i read for advice called bricklayers sand- plastering sand?
others say no to using holm others say they have used it with no problems,
confusing!?

thx in advance

Sponsored Links
Have a look thru the back posts as there is a lot of information on this subject..

Have a look thru the back posts as there is a lot of information on this subject..
I think that is part of the problem. There are lots of posts with differing information over what sand to use, whether to add lime, which coat to put water-proofer in, how to prep the walls.

I think that is part of the problem. There are lots of posts with differing information over what sand to use, whether to add lime, which coat to put water-proofer in, how to prep the walls.
I totally agree with what you say but if you look for the posts of the regulars on here then you will get the proper information.... ;)

Sponsored Links
just a post to say thanks to all who contributed info, went for the professional tradesman approach, jigged the bank acc/bills and found enough, they did a spot on job, but thx again to all for contributions.

Just damp the wall down, use plastering sand 4-1, a dash of waterproofer/plasticiser, scratch.

Next day 2nd coat 5-1 with plasticiser....coat and hit.

:mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back