Need lesson on pipe thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gledhill boilermate II system. I thought I'd finally worked out how it all functions, but the pipe thermostat has now confused me.

It has a small pipe thermostat labelled as Sopac with a dial from 30-90 degrees on it. This is connected to the boiler flow and heating pump PCB.

I thought :rolleyes: it was to ensure against overheating by switching on the rads when the thermal store temp got too high (by sensing the temp in the boiler flow pipe).

However when I set it high (i.e. 80 degress) the rads don't come on even if the room stat is turned very high. They only then come on when I turn the Sopac unit down to about 60 degrees.

Can anyone explain how this pipe thermostat should work and what the ideal setting on it should be?

Sponsored Links
I have a gledhill boilermate II system. I thought I'd finally worked out how it all functions, but the pipe thermostat has now confused me.

It has a small pipe thermostat labelled as Sopac with a dial from 30-90 degrees on it. This is connected to the boiler flow and heating pump PCB.

I thought :rolleyes: it was to ensure against overheating by switching on the rads when the thermal store temp got too high (by sensing the temp in the boiler flow pipe).

However when I set it high (i.e. 80 degress) the rads don't come on even if the room stat is turned very high. They only then come on when I turn the Sopac unit down to about 60 degrees.

Can anyone explain how this pipe thermostat should work and what the ideal setting on it should be?

the stat your adjusting is pos thermal store stat so wont let rads run cus your setting it higher then boiler stat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back