Need metal strips with holes - some sort of bracket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some metal strips with holes in, like those below, but I don't know what they're called so I don't know what to search for. To find those, I searched for Mecanno, but I don't know how thick Mecanno steel is.

Picture%20059.jpg

Sponsored Links
Meccano steel is very thin - .5mm or so - it depends what you want them for.
Look in any of the big sheds 'builders metalwork' section and you should find something suitable.
John :)

Galvanised strap from any builders merchants available normally in 2.5mm and 5mm and varous lengths and bracket forms

Sponsored Links
I want to use the strap to make a bracket for dynamos on my calliper brakes. Will I have trouble bending 2.5mm strap into the right shape? I want it to be flexible after fitting but elastic so it springs back (the dynamos should touch down a little before the brakes so there is an option to slow down rather than stop).

2.5mm steel will bend quite easily - especially so if you can heat it. Use BDMS if you can, rather than the cold rolled stuff.
It will have very little inherent springiness though, but maybe enough for what you need.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back