Need new BT master socket install but not the service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't currently use BT and as part of my house rebuild, the existing BT socket was stripped out.

I would now like to have a new BT socket in the AV room which is in a secure area and not where the original BT cable came in. What are the chances of me getting a new BT installation of a master socket in a new location before we close up the walls and plasterboard and not take out a new service so that I have this provision for the future?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can you not just fit a flush box and blank plate on an external wall just in case? Bt will normally wire round the house (from the outside) to wherever.... If u smile nicely

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone have a blank plate on an external wall for this purpose. Is this normal? How would I then run the cable behind that blank plate?

If you use an external wall then it can be drilled out anytime and a bt socket fitted. It's just saves fitting one later and if bt do it they will fit a big ugly pattress on the wall.

Sponsored Links
How are (were) services supplied to the house ? Underground, overhead, dropped in the flowerbed, ...
If you fit a flush box and either cabling already to it, or a means of drawing it in, then the socket can be fitted any time.
As to cable routing, the external cable in only allowed a few (3?) metres into the building, so if the socket isn't on (or close to) an external wall then a junction box will be needed to change from external to internal cable. But if internal cable is already installed, the BT OpenReach (or contractor) guy will generally have no problem in using it - saves him work which means he stands a slight chance of getting through his impossible job list for the day.

Oh yes, the original question. No, no chance of getting them to come and put a new socket in without ordering a new service.

I believe the original BT cable came into the first floor bedroom, but that has now been ripped out from the room.

Since all the other providers who run off BT, would need a line installed, is there another "cheaper" provider who I can get to do an install for cheap 12-month line only contract?

They all charge similar amounts - partly because they all have to pay BTOR for the connection and depending on their setup may well also be paying BT for the phone service. There are differences in pricing (by several quid a month), but none are "cheap" cheap.
I would just look at where the cable comes to the house (overhead, underground, whatever) and arrange that where it's going to be convenient and aesthetically acceptable for them to bring the cable in, there's going to be an easy route to a junction box and internal cabling (or just master socket) for them to use.

So, for example, if it's obvious that all the houses are supplied by overhead cables, and there's an easy route, you might arrange for internal cabling from a convenient place in the loft to where you want the master socket, and be prepared to have a draw-wire already in place to pull the external cable up through the soffit and into the loft (ie the tech can just tape his dropwire to your draw-wire and you can pull it in). I don't know what their rules are, but BTOR techs might have restrictions on going into lofts so you might have to deal with the connections up there yourself. Also, there's a limit of something like 3m for external cabling inside the building - something to do with the external grade cable being more flammable and/or making noxious smoke in a fire I think.

You'd be more likely to be able to convince them to do a very cheap install if you could agree to a longer service contract. But it depends on the provider,

Does anyone here know any cheap providers that are worth a try?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back