Need new Consumer Unit for Night Store Heaters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4 Night Store heaters running on Econ 7. These are served by a switched fuse-box with 4 outlets. One of the outlets has burnt and I have been advised to have the box replaced with A MK Sentry 4 way Garage RCD unit from Screwfix. Would this be suitable please (an old cottage) and ,if so, what is likely to be the cost of installing, the unit is in a meter box which is accessible on steps in the hall. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well, a garage cu. is just a very small cu. with, as you say, 4 ways.
However, you will require one with 6 ways - 2 for the RCD. and 4 for the heater MCBs.
It doesn't matter where you buy it.
Most manufacturers do 8s - not sure about 6s.
Edit - Crabtree do 6 module units, can't see MK one.
Anyhow, that's beside the point.

Did you not ask the electrician how much it would cost or did he have to catch a plane?

The job is changing a consumer unit so several tests have to be done to ensure safety and earthing may have to be upgraded plus the issuing of the Electrical Installation Certificate and Schedule of Inspections and Tests.

I would say it would cost around £200 plus parts.
It could depend on the property, I suppose.

Also, there may be the original fault, causing the overheating, to remedy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back