Combined consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to have my old Wylex (rewire-able fuses) consumer unit replaced. It sits on the wall in the lounge next to the fuse unit for my economy 7 night store heaters. My question is as some of the new consumer units are made to look more inconspicuous with solid plastic doors. Would it be acceptable to replace both the old cu and night store fuse unit with one large box that has enough module space to do both jobs i.e. 2 DP switches + all the mcbs/rcd? Can you get a box with sufficient neutral rails? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, but it won't be a standard item you go and purchase as a single unit - it will have to be assembled from the appropriate parts.

Wylex have Dual Tariff Units available as a standard item (although your wholesaler may have to order them in)

And of course there are other, better brands.

It is notifiable work.

Ask your electrician about the benefits and costs of moving to RCBOs

RCBOs are great.

Sponsored Links
Hager are worth considering, especially if the boards are on show in the room as they have not see-through lids.

You just need a really big board, and then have it loaded up with 2 DP 100amp switches and the other RCBO's / MCB's. You may be able to fit the contactor for the E7 as well, depending on your setup

Consider also a flush mounting variant, if available.

RCBOs on all domestic socket and lighting circuits are, in my opinion, a necessary inclusion to prevent inconvenience in case of a fault or a summation of protective conductor currents. They are, however, expensive compared tto MCBs.

For heating circuits, therefore, I would consider an overall RCD in place of one of the 100A DP switches, and the use of MCBs rather than RCBOs.

RCD's and storage heaters don't mix very well.

So you don't want one element going and leaving you without any heat.

I guess :

a) you need to weigh up the cost. (depends how many heaters you have)

b) you could turn off the DP switch to the faultly heater, but not easy to work out if the supply is off peak, and you would easily loose a days worth of heating the whole house as a minimum.

I take that there is no regulatory requirement for storage heaters to be protected by an RCD/RCBO, as they are hard wired? Thanks

I take that there is no regulatory requirement for storage heaters to be protected by an RCD/RCBO, as they are hard wired? Thanks
AIUI there is no requirement for the storage heaters themselves to be protected by a RCD but there are requirements for concealed cables to be protected by a RCD in many cases and the storage heaters are very likely to be fed by concealed cables that do not fall into any of the categories that are exempt from RCD protection.

To what extent an existing install should be brought up to current regs is somewhat debatable but i'd think most electricians would want all circuits from a newly installed CU to comply to current regs regardless of when the cabling for those circuits was installed..

The outer covering of storage heater elements is not generally connected to earth, so tripping RCDs is not likely.

Unlike oven elements and immersion heaters where the elements is usually welded to a metal bracket or other earthed fixture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back