need new tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everybody

this is my post post/question on this specific forum although aware of the etiquette that i should try and help as many peoples questions that i'm experienced in so basically my question is that I've recently acquired a sum of money and with thi money i would like to get a new set of tools as i have always used my late fathers that are fine but i would like my own really so im going to get the following

alan key set
socket/torgue wrench set
wrench set
screwdriver set
maybe a drill
glue gun
dremel saw
wire strip/cutters
pliers and needle nose pliers
a vice grip
tape measure
voltometer or some form of electrics tester
tire pressure gauge
paddock stand

and if ive missed any tools for fixing motorcycles, mountain bikes that kind of maintenance pluss stuff thats needed in "general" diy.

thankyou appreciate the help

Sponsored Links
you cant go wrong with the socket, screwdriver and spanner sets from halfords professional range, depends on your budget really.
Im a fan of bondhus allen keys, really strong and great quality.
Will let somebody else comment on the rest

i have always really hated halfords stuff i had a torgue wrench from them the whole set i bought and the wrench itself died in a week and i have always been a big hammer fan it gives me to shout by the power of thor before striking with it. is anyone aware of the metal that a set of alan keys that would make them almost INDESTRUCTABLE ive always found them flimsy :D

thankyou for your responses.

Silk

Sponsored Links
I quite like the Halfrauds "Professional" range. The other stuff doesn't look that good, but I've got a variety of "pro" stuff (including a couple of torque wrenches) and I've not broken them yet.

Teng have a good reputation. Snap-on and Facom are brilliant (if you're really rich). Kamassa are "variable". I have an excellent Kamasa socket set, but sometimes their stuff is really naff. Britool are good, Sykes are reasonable...

Socket set (or two different drive sized ones), down to 8mm, including 16 & 18mm, and up to over 21mm.
Ratchet, tommy bar and extensions to suit.
Spark plug sockets to suit.
Allan key sockets to suit.
Torx sockets to suit.
Maybe reverse-torx too depending on work.
Combination spanners (ring one end, open at the other). Same sizes.
Screwdrivers - A set.  Make sure your star ones are pozidrive (not philips).
Drill - cordless, with hammer function.  Buy quality like dewalt - the battery holds it's charge for months so you can use it for odd jobs without charging.
Drill bit set.  Including wood, metal and masonary.
Screwdriver drill bits to suit your drill.  Machine mart sells sets of de-walt ones which don't wear out after two screws.
Get a set of pliers/vice grips/wire strippers with all your requirements in a pack.
Feeler guages - metric.
Claw hammer. Not the £2 ones, the next ones up the range are ok tho.
Mash hammer if doing heavy stuff.
Hack saw.  And maybe junior one too.  With spare blades.
Wood saw.
File set.  Metal and wood.
Skip the torque wrench unless you are stripping car cylinder heads etc.  Get a "feel" for bolt tightness instead.
Pick up a couple of £1 tape measures from the pound shop.
Same with tyre pressure guage, and tyre tread depth measurer.
Cheap voltmeters are rubbish to use.  But at least draper quality.
Skip the dremel and the glue gun until you have a need for them.  Same for a sander/angle grinder/wallpaper stripper/solder bolt etc etc.

You might need long reach allan keys for motorbike work.  Or long extensions for your sockets.

Don't buy cheap tools they just break or chew your bolts.  Draper is a bit half in between.  Machine mart's stuff is pretty good for the home mechanic.  As is halfords.  I have some bahco stuff which is pretty good.  Snap-on is too dear unless you use it every day.  Try ebay. 

Personally I'd start with some of the above which would give you a decent start for a couple/few hundred quid, and add a new tool each time i have a use for it.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheap and chancy, combination spanner sets, at £30 from 6mm to 32mm and the same with socket sets. E-Bay is always a good start. If you loose one or someone asks for a lend, you aren't that worried. If you wear them out well go for a bit dearer the next time. Don't over spend, taking the fun and enjoyment out of fixing. I've seen guys (male and female) spending the price of a good car on tools, only to find they are that stressed about loosing something, its just not worth it.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SPANNER-SET-...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5aec0cfaa2

But that's only my opinion

Ive got a very nice set of Britool spanners, and one of there ratchet ring set as well.
- Pat hate, but wrenchs are for plumbing or Americans.

The halfords pro 1/4inch set is a cracking little set in a very usable case, take it anywhere, mine lives in the kitcar during summer and has got me out of no end of holes, as well as being very useful during the weekend.

3/8 does almost everything else, although I have a cheap 1/2" breakerbar and a set of sockets for abusing overly tight things. With a 1/2->3/8 adapter for using the breaker bar on other things from time to time.

Draper pro/expert are OK for cost effective kit, but like Halfords, rapidly becomes cheap tat once you look at the non-pro ranges.

Wera get mentioned a lot for screwdrivers, and I also have some Wiha (not to be confused) which seem above average. It seems really very hard to get a properly good screw driver these days and I really don't know why.

CK do nice pliers and side cutters. I'm also a fan of Bahco, certainly there adjustable spanners appear second to none.

The only wire stripper worth having if you doing a decent about of electrical work is the PTS4.

For a multimeter you can do a lot worse than a second hand Fluke 75.

Hacksaws there is only one brand, which is Eclipse, although some copies work too.

Stanley classic claw hammer, or a copy.

No idea what you want a hot glue gun for, but bosch appear the most common which is important for getting new glue sticks.

Vice, and clamps, record. Although the orange quick-clamps that work like a sealant gun are good for what they are.

Power tools, first for DIY is a cordless drill for sure, around the 12-18v mark. Only need hammer for drilling masonry, and which point, I prefer a corded drill. Brands worth buying, Bosch Pro (turquoise not green), Dewalt if on special offer. Makita are very nice. Hitachi are pretty durable, Ryobi for your more obscure stuff, belt sanders, etc.

Had to google what a paddock stand is. Not a not a biker, ramps and axles stands for me!

Daniel

Have a look at 'Silverline' tools on ebay, they are very reasonably priced and of good quality.

Peter

Thanks peter im mainly looking at ebay, mainly when it comes to ebay all the products are the same (ish) just different names if you see what i mean (same supplier) if this is the case i could buy aload if people have used them and trusted not to disolve when it comes in contact with a screw/bolt :)?

thankyou

I first came across Silverline on the 'Tool station' catalogue but I see now they are available on ebay, they have a nice finish on them and I haven't broken one yet.

Peter

Sorry Peter - I totally disagree S****line , no way . I look for Britool @ boot fairs . Even got some Elora I bought way back , from W. Germany - used for fixing Nukes during the Cold War ;)

thanks for your comments guys im really looking for the best set of wrenches and alan keys mainly i just want a nukeproof set of both :D

Britool and Elora both made excellent tools, I have some from the 50s/60s but you don't often see them, I think for modern cheap tools Silverline take some beating.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back