What Tools?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Forum newbie here wanting to pick your collective brains on advice for some tools.

Currantly a plasterer and after spending time working with a property develper at weekends for the past year I'm looking into investing in a few properties of my own with some money ive saved over the years. I have a fair amount of kit already but mostly skewed towards my current needs as a plasterer. Ive a resonable amount of experience in other trades and have the old mans 40 years of experience to help out but hopefully the proper kit will help produce quicker and better quality results with less struggling!

1. cutting: At the moment i have a makita 5704rk witch i envisage has years of use in it. I use it for ripping pyroc/bluclad boards atm so it doesnt get that much use. Also own ryobi 18v circular saw and jigsaw witch are of limited use tbh but came as part of a very cheap set. Have acsess to an old SIP table saw too as well as the usual handsaws of various types. Im considering the merits of a plunge saw (probs makita, dewalt or bosch) although at over 300 quid there not cheap. Should make ripping sheets in the day job a doddle tho! Also after a sliding mitre saw probably a hitachi c8fse and jigsaw probably a cj110mv. so my question is is the plunge saw that much better than a standard circular on general renovation work and do I have any other cutting options I've missed?

2.Lasers: Can anyone explain the differant types. Often use a spit cl30 cross line laser and plumb bob from work witch I believe means vertical and horizontal right? Rotary ones look useful but are pricey. I dont mind spending a good amount on one but not on half a dozen differant types? What are the most versatile+reliable ones on the market. Are tile lasers useful or a gimmick bearing in mind I'm not a pro tiler!

3.Tile cutting: My old man has a pretty good Rubi manual sliding cutter and vitrex electrical tile saw (the table saw type ones) from when he was a pro tiler. I've picked up a manual saw, scribe and pair of pincers recentley so is there anything i could add? Ryobi do an 18v wet tile cutter for 50 quid bare and I already have the batteries. Will this make life any easier? I've got a Ryobi 18v grinder so is it worth picking up a tiling blade?

4.laminate/wood floor: How do you guys cut and would the tools mention above be sufficient? What do you make of this?

http://www.qvcuk.com/qvc.product.56...urce=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base

Very cheap but with the letters GMC written down the side thats probably why! In fairness I find some cheap tools fine for occasional use, it has mainly good reviews on amazon and argos and its not like I'll use it every day. What about using it on wood and are there similar products you know of? Anyone use the bostich flooring nailer and although its not cheap could it pay for itself on a few jobs?

5. Rewire: Could be looking a rewiring properties? Any tools speed this up besides pliers/cable rods? Anyone use these or similar?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELLERMAN...TI-PURPOSE-WIRE-CABLE-DISPENSER-/200769289587

6. Earthmoving: Could have to move a lotta soil anything better than shovel and barrow and no I can't afford a digger!

7.Door Hanging: Is there a better way than chisels and mallet? Seen a few products about but not sure how gimmicky they are?

8. Cutting aids/jigs/templates: Anything out there that make cutting and marking easier/quicker especialy awkward bits?

9. Access: I have a pair of trestles and some planks plus one of these brilliant ladders

http://www.screwfix.com/p/multipurpose-ladder-with-platform-4-section-3-rung-3-34m/27581

Will probably get a hopup with with built in work tray. Does anyone here use raised floors (milk crates/planks) for wiring/insulating/boarding/plastering ceilings or is it not worth setting up? Have looked at stillts but imagine there more bother working alone across 2 floors!

10. Other tools: I tend to find working with developers a lot of time is spent looking for the lost tape measure/pencil/knife! I've started keeping a bag by my side with a dozen of each so if I can't find them I just grab another and wait for the old one to turn up before throwing back in the bag. Anything I Should add to this bag?

11.Nailguns: Hitachi ones go for about 300 quid and I can see a bit of use for a first fix one however whats the use of second fix ones? Architraves? Skirting boards? Will the only fix to wood so is it use in an old terrace?

12. Plasterboard lifters: Going for a smidge over 100 quid on fleabay? Saves paying a mate 50 quid a day to help out if it 3 days or more? Anyone used them?

13. Bathrooms: Good bathroom fitting tools besides the obvious?

14: Kitchens: Good kitchen fitting tools besides the obvious?

Anything you care to add much appreciated. Long post but I'm sure you can help me more knowing my whole situation. Cheers

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
From looking at that you seem to be taking on every trade going.
Good luck.

get a screwfix catolouge.

and what ever tools you havnt got,then buy them. :LOL:
coz your going to need quite a few.

10. Other tools: I tend to find working with developers a lot of time is spent looking for the lost tape measure/pencil/knife! I've started keeping a bag by my side with a dozen of each so if I can't find them I just grab another and wait for the old one to turn up before throwing back in the bag. Anything I Should add to this bag?

Tape measure clipped to your belt at all times or in a leather holster.
And pencil behind the ear. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I essentially am taking on every trade going, my old man is from a general builder background but would use a bit and brace were it up to him! I have a lot of stuff to buy so want tips from the guy using them everyday.

I think a tool belt is a good idea ill look into it.

The electrics?
I know a joiner with no quals who completely wired his newbuild bungalow. Then got a spark in to do the final testing who signed it off as his own.
That gets around the Part P malarky.

Do you plan on doing something similar? Drop them a bung of cash maybe?

Id planned on doing it me and the old man and getting it properly inspected by building inspectors as a developer friend has recently done with the wiring. We did converting his terrace into to flats. Can't remember the fee but it wasn't astronomical so will probably do that to keep everything above board :)

10 off the top of my head....

Sds drill
10.8v drill/impact driver set.
Rolson folding lockknife, takes normal 'stanley' blades.
Sliding bevel.
Couple of 6" speedclamps.
Folding plastic sawhorses.
Mini nail puller/pry bar. (Decent one with an edge to it)
Electric planer
polish phrasebook (for all the cheap labourers you'll be employing) :LOL:
Kettle (most important of all!)

Sds drill
Sliding bevel.
Electric planer

Skirting board ladder, glass saw, glass hammer, sky hooks 3"-4".

Also you must learn how to 'wolf whistle' and fold the sun to fit into your rear pocket.

Sds drill
Sliding bevel.
Electric planer

Skirting board ladder, glass saw, glass hammer, sky hooks 3"-4".

Also you must learn how to 'wolf whistle' and fold the sun to fit into your rear pocket.

Don't forget the drill bit for drilling hexagonal holes and a long weight. :LOL:

Or buy a real one.

Of course, get both!

:!: Just don't forget to take it out of the pocket when you're off to the pub at lunchtime. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back