Replacement tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace some of my cordless tools. I have a Ryobi 18V circular saw which was ok for DIY but I am looking for a replacement which will stand full time use.

I have been looking at the new Lithium Ion tools coming out. Makita do an 18V Li-Ion saw on Milwakee do v28 Li-Ion saw. Does anyone have any experience / comment about these? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
as battery stuff goes i only use dewalt, circular saw, drill, recip saw etc. I have to say ive had no problem with them and i use them in all conditions doing landscaping work, no matter how hard you try they still get wet and dirty in that environment, but still come up trumps. the only pain has been the batteries, but ive upgraded to higher ampage and done away with the clone batteries and gone for the genuine ones.

Have to say that I hop between Makita and Dewalt.........though generally stick to Dewalt cordless and Makita corded.

Sponsored Links
I've had uniformly good luck (so far, anyway) with Makita and blue Bosch, although the only woodworking tool I've only ever had from Bosch was a jigsaw (rest is metal-mashing).

My neighbour is a joiner, uses Milwaukee kit, and doesn't have a bad word to say about it (except the price, but...).

M

Hi constalation,
I spent most of yesterday trawling through lots of sites on the web. I too was interested in those Lithium Ion Makitas but couldn't find anywhere in the UK that you can get hold of one. I ended up ordering this http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/ishop/982/shopscr3839.html
I think that's about the cheapest you can get it anywhere (plus you get a workbelt thrown in). If you're interested I can report back on whether it's any good or not, but for the money, it better be.
Cheers,
Gcol

Thanks for the tip Gcol. I would be interested what you think of the Makita. I found the Li-Ion Makitas on the US web site and had got no further than that so I was not sure if they were available in the UK.

It's an absolute beast - get one. This thing doesn't know the meaning stopping. This drill packs some serious torque, you can't even come close to stopping the chuck from spinning with your hand. I've been drilling out door latches today with a 22mm speedbit - it didn't even bat an eyelid. No noticable slow down while drilling. It just powers through, no matter what pressure you exert on it.
Don't know how long the batteries will last yet. Apparently it takes a few charges to reach full potential anyway.
It is a little on the heavy side but you don't really notice it when you're use it.
That tool belt that comes with it (for free) costs £65 from the same site! (That makes this purchase a bargain) It's an excellent belt too - very well made. It should last forever.
Highly recommended so far. Looks very cool too!
Cheers,
Gcol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back