Need solution for rusting wire corner bead under plaster above kitchen sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

So I've been removing the small mosaic tiles around the sink area down to the bare plaster. I noticed the corner bead above the sink (where the wall meets the window ledge) has quite a bit of rust in areas, probably due to sink water splashing or wet objects placed on the window ledge which was also tiled over with those small glass mosaic tiles.

My question is now I have smashed out most of the bonding plaster to removed the rusty beading, when I replace it shall I just use the same wire beading? Is there a more rust proof solution as I'm worried when I re-tile water will just seep through and rust it again over time.

Also I thought this sort of beading was aluminium which doesn't rust? does this mean it was made of another metal? cheers

WP_20170907_001.jpg

Sponsored Links
not sure if I answered my own question :D but I think this must have been stainless steel corner bead, so I guess solution would be to use aluminium or plastic bead?

Also...

Do I even need beading if this corner will be covered in tiles?

Does beading sit above the bonding layer and under the skim layer?

Last edited:
It's normally galvanised steel, so will rust if there's a lot of water. You can get plastic or stainless steel beads, but if the area is sealed properly, the a normal bead is okay, and water splashing on the tiles wouldn't cause this. It might be better to redo the jod with sand and cement, and place a piece of wood along the top level to form the corner, then you can remove the wood afterwards.

I got a feeling the water soaks through the grout so has to be waterproof. plastic is the way to go. Not sure which type though?

Sponsored Links
unless your going to use small mosaics again I wouldn't bother, just tile over it.

yeah was thinking to just do that as the edge will be protected by the larger tiles. I ordered some plastic beading so will see how I get along with it first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back