Need some bright ideas to solve this problem

Measure where the clips are then rebate into the chipboard with a flat wood bit. 32mm just to make sure ;)

Sponsored Links
I think the cost of running a UFH where you put the spreader plates under the existing floor between the joists will be higher and less efficient as it takes longer for the heat to rise to the surface.

I'm curious to to know your after thoughts when installed.

Not my UFH but in some senses I agree. That said, taking longer isn't really a factor when you have a heating system that runs constantly. I've never quite understood why the British have an obsession with installing massive heating systems that bully house up to temperature twice a day

I read an article earlier last week that said it was a misconception that leaving the heating on the whole day is more cost-efficient but rather a waste of resources.

Sponsored Links
FWIW when my brother had his house redesigned (effectively taken back to a shell and the internals rebuilt) the upstairs UFH had it's spreader plates put straight onto the joists and then the floor laid as normal.
I can understand some contractors taking the view that this is "not safe" since it means walking around on joists without any flooring laid.

But I can't see why this should be any less efficient than adding a second layer - the heat still has to get through one layer of flooring.

Indeed it should be more so because it should be insulated directly under the sheets..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back