Need Some Garden Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my garden looks like this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fsZLUFz2zVY2r8OW2 but now where you see the earth it has turned into weeds :(

My Dad seems to think I needed to dig out the current grass so that we can manually rotate the ground. ( I have bought a cheap rotavator as in the picture).

I just want to level the garden and put seed down for a new lawn.
I know it's hard to tell from one picture but is this really a good idea?

Some of the gardeners I have spoken to seem to think it is best to lay turff this time of year?
I'm not sure it is a good idea be digging up the turff though as it means I will only have to put it into a skip.

There is also a fair amount of concrete I need to shift as far as I have seen most skip companies only have skips for either garden waste or rubble not both.

They are quoting about £1600 to clear and re-lay turf is that about right?
I would rather do it my self if I can.

Cheers
Paul

Sponsored Links
I certainly wouldn't be taking any turf or soil offsite - why pay to get rid of the very thing you need for a healthy lawn?
£1600 seems like a lot of money to me.
If it was my garden I'd turn over the bare patch with a fork or rotovator and level with a rake,
The grass looks ok from the photo - from the look of it - keep cutting it and you'll have a lawn

(If you are concerned about weeds then:
cover with plastic or carpet or cardboard to exclude light to any weeds.
Then leave it for a month or so
Then:
Remove the cover,
Remove the young weed shoots)

Rake level
sow grass seed
Keep it watered for at least a month or so

Weeds are an inherrant part of any garden, and they just need keeping under control. Laying turfs gives you a quick garden, but grass seeds are cheaper, just slower. You also need to put down balloons or something to keep the birds off while the seeds take.

It's not easy to see what is weeds, and what is grass from the photo but if you rotovate the garden and seed it, then the old grass will grow through, and you'll get a mixture. As such, I'd suggest killing the weed patches, rotovate the garden and level it, then lay turfs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back