Need some loft advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of making of making some posh(ish) storage space in my loft that will also serve as somewhere to put my PC (wife wants it out of the spare room). I want the area to have a fairly constant temperature; at the moment the roof is not insulated so it's either too hot or too cold up there.

The floor joists are pretty thick - at least 3"x6" - with plenty of insulation. The boarded floor area are will be around 8m2, using 18mm T+G chipboard over cross batons, and the loft area I’m looking at has a lot of supporting walls underneath (all brick).

I plan on using the Airtec bubblewrap stuff to insulate the roof, which is just slate nailed onto batons over the rafters (must remember 50mm air gap...). The headspace is pretty high (nearly 3m) so that's not really an issue. Would it be worth creating a box storage room, or should I just insulate the whole roof and leave it at that? I am a bit concerned with dust, what with the computer gear…

As for electrics, there is already a light wired in. Should I just invest in a long extension lead, or get something more serious installed?

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Hi Mike,

I wouldnt expect too much proper advice from posters on here.
Most posters consist of builder wannabees who basically work in trade stores.

I'm in a similar situation to you but havent got the headroom or the hefty ceiling joists that you say you have.

What is your question exactly?

I've recently installed a velux window in my loft, floored it, and I'm in the process of insulating the rafters with celotex. It wont be an official room as theres no real way of upgrading the ceiling joists.

Get a velux window in there, board it all out, plasterboard it etc and it wont be as dusty for the computer.

The floor joists are pretty thick - at least 3"x6" - with plenty of insulation.
what sort of house do you have, that's a big joists size, any photo?

ps: cheaper to buy a wireless laptop ;)

I wouldnt expect too much proper advice from posters on here.
Most posters consist of builder wannabees who basically work in trade stores.

Yeh, the diynot forums are rubbish, no-one has a clue what they're talking about, you're better off asking your local rag 'n' bone man, he's sure to have a cousin who does loft conversions.

Oops, look at the time, I must get to bed as I've an early start. We have a large delivery of £149 bathroom suites coming in tomorrow, and our most recent tv ad (featuring Bill Oddie) has been plugging them quite a lot so we're sure to have a rush on.

Sponsored Links
We have a large delivery of £149 bathroom suites coming in tomorrow, and our most recent tv ad (featuring Bill Oddie) has been plugging them quite a lot so we're sure to have a rush on.
That's not bad, is that including fitted and does it come with water?

We have a large delivery of £149 bathroom suites coming in tomorrow, and our most recent tv ad (featuring Bill Oddie) has been plugging them quite a lot so we're sure to have a rush on.
That's not bad, is that including fitted and does it come with water?

Yep, fitted by Bill Oddie himself (it's a bird bath-room suite) :LOL:

ANDY AND MIKE how did you get on with your roof space as i have also done the same pm me if you want to ask anything or see my pics

Most people on here are helpful, in fact very helpful sometimes. Problems do seem to arise when people are asking for things that are against regulations or could cause serious injury or very hazardous....

Id say always use your common sense when you get a reply to a post, and also when you ask a question. Oh and don't forget to thank people for the help if they point you in the right direction.

Onto you post regarding the loft....

If your joists are as thick as you say, do you have supporting walls under them ? ie brick ones?

If so boarding for the floor should not be a problem.

How thick are the upper roof timbers?

Id be tempted to use that insulated foil backed bubble stuff stapled to the roof, that will stop any dust and rubbish falling down on you, then maybe create a cupboard area for the computer, and insulate that....

Make sure you have no leaks, also Damp or too much heat will affect you computers in the loft space. What are you going to do for heating in the winter? You will be better to run a nice clean Ring up to the Loft if you can, as running computers and heaters from a sing 13amp rated extension lead could lead to a few problems....

Take some pictures, break the job down into section and post in the relevant forum headers... ie Electric for electric stuff.....

Im pretty sure you'll get some interesting replies, and pointers of what you could try to do with what you have.

Have fun..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back