Need some tips on garage ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys. First time posting, I need to ask for some advice regarding my garage ceiling (or lack of, rather). I hope this is the right section to post in.

Hopefully an easy enough problem, I am looking to drill some plasterboard into the rafters of my ice-cold garage to better seal-off and insulate the place. My problem is that around the edges the wood drops down a bit, complicating it a little bit as there would be quite a large gap on either end where the board wont fit. Are there any options as to what I could do to fill this gap? Luckily a photo might be able to explain better than I can.

Any help is much appreciated!

-Darran.

Sponsored Links
You could box out the edges or fit additional joists perpendicular to the existing ones at a depth equal to or slightly lower than the end of the rafters or drop existing joist down, so bringing the whole thing level to board out.
Prior to this decide what size boards you going to use and space joist accordingly, if adding joists to underside.
You will want to get some insulation up there aswell, using duplex(foil back boards) or putting a vapour check barrier between insulation and board will help prevent condensation, also considerations for any lighting circuits would be advisable if required.

I see, alright. Would it be difficult to box the edges? Funds would be an issue so I would imagine that might be the best bet over fitting new joists. The garage itself unfortunately wasn't made by an absolute professional, so a few of the joists already are positioned lower than the others, but the gap is still fairly large.

Good advice on the insulation and lighting, I was just planning on picking up some used insulation that tends to be on gumtree so often and putting it up there.

Now that I'm looking at it, I have just noticed something.

The beams are cut to shape at the ends. If they were turned the other way around the rafters would hang below or level with the wall and the problem would be solved. Is there any reason for them being this way? Or has the builder put them on upside down? It wouldn't surprise me if the latter were true to be honest.

Sponsored Links
Think they have just been cut to suit the the sloop of the roof, but you could turn one over and see how it fits.
I don't think the boxing in would be a big deal, you could board across the flat area of your joist, this will then leave you with an angled area slopping down to the walls, just fix a board across that area, using a sub-former you could get a nice edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back