need stronger radiator valves than Drayton TRV4's, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have Drayton TRV4 valves on my radiators and I am finding the heads get broken too often, especially as we have young grand children round all the time.

I notice that often the white plastic heads go a bit brown near the tightening ring part which seems to indicate that the plastic has become a bit brittle and if anyone is rough with adjusting it or the kids play around there it will snap off. Its easy enough to replace but it seems I am doing it too often.

They usually last well over a year (I think they should last many years really) but after that decay of plastic or kids get to them or both. I usually buy them in bulk new but off private sellers to try and get them cheaper or they can work out over £25 each elsewhere.

So are there any heads that would fit the same fitting but are much stronger and maybe made completely out of metal so that there is no weak decaying plastic to snap.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Maybe invest in some smart TRV’s/kits, Such as the Drayton Wiser?

Hmm, expensive, anything cheaper and non smart for simple replacement but stronger than my Drayton ones?

Get rid of the grand kids!

I set my trv’s and then forget about them. Maybe the occasional move through the range of travel to keep them freed up but that's it.

Sponsored Links
I should think the children must be climbing on them. Are they mounted horizontally?

Presumably they will grow up

Hi, I have Drayton TRV4 valves on my radiators and I am finding the heads get broken too often, especially as we have young grand children round all the time.

I notice that often the white plastic heads go a bit brown near the tightening ring part which seems to indicate that the plastic has become a bit brittle and if anyone is rough with adjusting it or the kids play around there it will snap off. Its easy enough to replace but it seems I am doing it too often.

They usually last well over a year (I think they should last many years really) but after that decay of plastic or kids get to them or both. I usually buy them in bulk new but off private sellers to try and get them cheaper or they can work out over £25 each elsewhere.

So are there any heads that would fit the same fitting but are much stronger and maybe made completely out of metal so that there is no weak decaying plastic to snap.

Any help appreciated.

It sounds as if your valves are extremely exposed. Have you considered changing the orientation to make them less vulnerable? The valves are available in straight and angled and you can use the existing heads

Regards

Tet

Danfoss

are the valves that I find are working perfectly at 25 years+ years old in customers houses.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I am a decorator, I often see old snapped Drayton TRV4 crowns and as you say, it looks like the discoloured bit becomes brittle over time

I am a decorator, I often see old snapped Drayton TRV4 crowns and as you say, it looks like the discoloured bit becomes brittle over time
Thank you finally someone sees what I see. If only they made them out of "ALL" metal so they were strong and didn't have a weak spot:unsure:

TRV4s have been around for a very long time, and were very popular.

It's no surprise there are a lot of old ones around.

Thank you finally someone sees what I see. If only they made them out of "ALL" metal so they were strong and didn't have a weak spot:unsure:

I guess it is down to cost.

Annoyingly, when I have sourced replacement crowns they have only been very slightly cheaper than the whole TRV.

Nothing wrong with TRV4's.
Really good valves.

I agree that they are but I do question their longevity. Given that the damaged ones I have seen were fairly old, I guess that it is possible that they may have changed the materials used to make them.

I have no idea what kind of abuse they had been subjected to over the years, but the plastic "lugs" under the threaded metal part had definitely discoloured and become brittle (meaning that when you screw down the collar- it no longer pulls down the crown/head).

Thank you finally someone sees what I see. If only they made them out of "ALL" metal so they were strong and didn't have a weak spot
Because very few would buy them so they would be extremely expensive, I can buy a twin pack TRV and lockshield for around £7 or if I but a boiler and rads the valves are free, no manu will ever make any TRV that will have an extremely limited sales audience, some designer TRVs are eye wateringly expensive but some daft women pay their prices

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back